Sunday, June 21, 2009

Rain

So, the Korean pop star finally settled for not appearing at a concert here.
Wait, not that rain.
Today was one of those typical days where Kailua cannot decide whether (weather) or not it is on the Windward side of the island or the East side.
Blue skies, scattered showers, blue skies, scattered showers, rinse, wash, repeat.
Most of the time, by the time I get to Lanikai, I can look out over the ocean and get a vague idea of what the weather is going to be like. Usually it's blue sky for as far as the eye can see; that means it's probably not going to rain. This is Hawaii: it rains when the sun is shining.
Days like today are hard to judge. The sky was grey to the horizon which means anything could happen. So it rained and then it stopped. And then it rained again. And stopped. Now that I am sitting here inside, of course blue skies have returned.
I attribute this strange weather to fact that I cleaned my bike before leaving the house. Cleaning your bike is the same as washing your car: it will rain if you go out.
The worst thing about riding in the rain is not the track marks or water driping down the back of your shorts. I can handle that.
It's the freakin water that shoots up off your front tire that you inhale while cranking it down the road to the nearest covered shelter.
I swear it's like slow motion: the stream of water rises off the front of your tire and separates into droplets that seem to hover right in front of your mouth. It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't gasping for air. Thinking about where that water is from takes the fun out of breathing.
The thing is, I don't mind cycling in the rain. In fact, in a strange way it's actually quite pleasant.
If it weren't for all that water.

I finally broke down and ordered a new crankset.
The one on my bike started clicking and a creaking about a thousand miles ago and it got so loud it's freaking me out.
After days of deliberation and hours of internet research, I decided on Shimano SLX cranks.
I also picked up a Halo headband while waiting out the rain in the bike shop. It has a silicon band that supposedly defects the beads of sweat to the sides of your head. I'm giving it to my brother to try out. Apparently, I don't ride fast enough to sweat.

No comments: