Saturday, August 27, 2016

WWD

That's right.
WWD baby!
Once I get going there's no stopping me!
I think.
Well, here's the evidence:



















My new to me transceiver!
Oh yeah baby a dual band VHF/UHF radio!
First of all lemme tell you, ham radio has changed since the last time I keyed a microphone.
Now everyone is linked up on the internets via things called nodes and you can pretty much talk world wide on UHF.
That's like the 70cm  band in ham talk.
Back in the olden days UHF was pretty much dead.
I mean you could talk on it, but no one did cause most of the action was on VHF.
By the way, VHF stands for Very High Frequency.
Guess what UHF is...
That's right!
Ultra High Frequency!
Boy, you gotta hand it to those FCC dudes to come up with some fancy names for radio frequencies.
Anyways, I've been monitoring this thing called the Winsystem, a system of repeaters and nodes that are pretty much world wide.
Interesting to listen to say, England on the FM side of radio.
The only times I ever got into Europe was on CW (carrier wave) using Morse code.
Now the world is just a mike key away!
So anyways, I was thinking long and hard between paychecks about what kind of station I wanted to do.
First of all, I wanted to have independent power:

























There's my deep cycle 12 volt marine battery sitting outside on my lanai.
Along with all the wires sticking out from under my window.
I may eventually use two batteries running is series so I have some reserve power.
For now I got this:

























Slow rate trickle charger, about 1.5 amps.
That will be the back up, you know, in case it rains cause the next step is a solar charging panel.
Looks I need about 25 watts, but I'm still researching that part.
Because of my building I'm only getting direct sun about half the day, that's why I need the back up trickle charger.
I'm running a sort of portable antenna for now, but a real one is on the way.
I sort of wanted to make sure I wanted to really get back into being a ham until spending the big bucks.
Which I'm starting to spend.
Oh boy.
Actually it's not so bad since there's like tons of used stuff on the eVilness and it's not like you can reinvent the radio.
One of the first things I got was a new microphone.
I mean sounding good is everything.
If you know what I mean.
So off I went in search of audio bliss:

























That's right static fans!
The World Wide Turner +3 desk mike!
You are not a radio operator unless you've had one of these babies!
All good except these were designed for CB radio and for AM and SSB use.
Not for FM.
Which is what I'm talking on.
Thankfully it sounds pretty good on FM because I got two of em.
You know, one for a back up.
Okay, so I'm on my way!
Burning up the airwaves!
World Wide Domination (WWD) is next!
I even found my old key:




2 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

CQ! CQ! I look forward to seeing your haul from the next Hawaii Hamfest.

limom said...

Not sure there is a local hamfest.
There was one like 25 years ago, but it was mostly junk(s).
Which can be a good or not a good thing.