Friday, September 18, 2009

Addictions Part Deux

I went on an Evil eBay shopping spree last week, so now the fruits of my labors are beginning to arrive at my door.
My latest acquisition is a Park Tool hex wrench, which I decided I needed late one night whilst flipping the stem on the Beach Bike.

It appears to be a quality made tool that features the three most oft used sizes of hex wrenches I use. I should know for right next to the computer is this:

I frequently use my Snap-On hex set but found that while using the individual wrenches, I would often misplace them so the Park Tool wrench seemed handy. Then I began to think about all the hex keys I have around here. I remembered the set I got when I first got into cycling:

The Topeak Alien has about a hundred different tools on it so it was not very practical to carry around. It was also a bit cumbersome to use although it rests on a shelf approximately six feet from where the Snap-On set and I sit.
So I got this:

The Park Tool I-Beam is a nice compact multi-tool that is equipped with a chain breaker so I keep one in the saddle bag on my bike. I liked it so much that I got one for each bike:

I don't think I've ever used the second one.
Now I bet most normal people at this point would stop and marvel at all the different hex wrenches in their possession. They would probably feel safe and think that they had the right tool to tackle almost any bicycle related job at any time.
Not me.
I don't know why, but I often carry this around:

The Topeak Mini-6 was a gift from Evil Hoku so it doesn't qualify as an acquisition. It is about the size of a Zippo lighter and very convenient to have around. Especially when I am too lazy to open up my saddle bag or walk over to the shelf and use the Topeak Alien or use the individual wrenches sitting right next to me.
I think I'll put the new Park three way wrench about four feet in front of me with some other bicycle stuff just in case I need a wrench and am not carrying the Mini-6 or am too lazy to walk to the shelf and grab the Alien or use the Snap-On wrenches or open my saddle bags.
I've been thinking that those hex keys with the ball ends might be nice to have around.
Park Tool makes a very nice T-handle mechanics set.
You know, just in case.

No comments: