Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday Early Edition

Last night, I was feeling sort of sorry for myself.
I hardly ever feel sorry for myself, but seeing as how my "good" camera has less mega pixels than my "junk" camera, well I just thought it was appropriate.
Sort of like riding an Italian steel frame bicycle with anything less than Campagnolo.
If you know what I mean.
Anyways, I've been wanting to get some night time shooting in, particularly some head light trails on the highway.
The thing about headlight trails is that you just can't just shoot them any ole place.  It's sort of got to be the right spot or else they just look like any other lights.
Kind of.
I mean they look pretty cool, but it's all about location, location, location.
So I was getting some money at the auto machine teller and I just happened to have my camera with me, the "good" camera not the "junk" one, and I set it up real quick just to see what I could get:

















Hmmmm....
This isn't as easy I thought.
Okay, not really.
I was just testing the camera settings.
So I busted out the ole tripod and took a few shots:

















I got sort of lucky here as a police car went by.  Too bad he wasn't going in the other direction.
So anyways now I'm on a roll!
Off to the highway I go!



















Here I am trying not to get run over.
I tried various settings on the camera with my new lens.
Did I mention my new lens?
Actually it's the same as my old lens only new.
More on this later.
Well, the new lens only goes to like F/16 and I got to thinking I needed like F/22 so over to the old lens I went:















I just needed some extra seconds for the cars to crest the hill so that the trails didn't just stop all of a sudden.
I been thinking of this other place for a while, a black and white shot so off I went!
Here I am hiding next to my car:



















If you squint yer eyeballs, you can see two street lights back there.
That was my target.
Not as easy as it sounds as I wanted to catch them without any cars passing by.
After about forty minutes, I gave up.
It was about nine and I guess folks are still going somewhere and there were cars going by left and right.
Well, it must have been on my mind cause I woke up this morning at like four o'clock and I went back out:

















I always though it was sort of strange to have those two lights in the middle of a dark highway.  They do illuminate a crosswalk, but it's like who'd be crossing the street in the middle of nowhere?
Well okay it's not in the middle of nowhere, but on one side is a juvenile detention place and on the other a women's correctional facility.
I mean I don't think anyone from either place is going to be taking a walk in the middle of the night.
At least I hope not.
Anyways, I also wanted to try and catch one lone car passing by:

















Okay, that's not the image I was looking for but right now I'm too lazy to find the right one.
It looked kinda like that.
More like this:

















I'm still going through all the pics doing some post pics processing.
I also took some other stuff that I'll bust out later.
Stay tuned.

No comments: