Saturday, September 27, 2014

Wanderings

Going here.
Going there.
Going somewhere.
I think.
So I finally developed some rolls I shot a couple of weeks ago when I went out with the photo club.
We ventured into the downtown area and parts about:




















Some of the kids are ninth graders, which is unusual since I don't teach ninth graders.
Meaning they have no camera experience.
What they do have is enthusiasm and a willingness to follow me around.
Which may or may not be a good thing.
I have to remember not to do anything stupid cause they're always watching.
I tend to do that every once in a while.
Something stupid I mean.
Anyways off we went to Aloha Tower to finish off the day:




















I tried to use a variety of cameras that day, mostly my old fogey film cameras.
The kids always reach for the newest and biggest; poseurs.
Some of them look like they have a decent eyeball, except they don't know what they're doing.
Newest and biggest, they don't know how to operate all the fancy smancy stuff on the cameras.
So that's what we'll be working on next.
I'm going to try and relate some camera stuff to the stuff we go out and do.
Which will be tonight.
Astrophotography is what they decided:


















Some shots of Scorpius, one on film the other digital.
We'll just fool around on campus before we lug everything out and get serious.
I can't help but think about what I'm doing here.
I've come to realize that it's difficult to teach, show, explain exactly what I do and how I do it.
These kids lack any kind background in art and so much of what I do now sort of comes naturally to me.
I have a bunch of experience to draw from, tons of books and works that I've seen and been exposed to.
These kids have no clue.
Reality sort of set in when I was trying to explain what abstract art is and I found myself having to do the sixty second version of the history of art.
Things that I take for granted are absolutely new and foreign to the kids.
I think now that with each project I need to introduce one element of art history.
We'll see how that goes.
Meanwhile it looks cloudy right now.
I may have to go to plan B tonight.

No comments: