Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sunday Early Edition

So we're working on portraits.
Use the lighting I tell them.
Two lights minimum, front light, back light, side light, top light, bottom light, whatever light.
Think outside the box.
I'm really getting tired of saying that.
How about 'be unconventional?'
What do I get back?
Year book pictures.
Mug shots.
Seriously?
Lemme show you how to do it:


























Figuring how much time they spend online, and all that these kids are exposed to these days, you'd think they could come up with some interesting stuff.
I finally had to take the lead and show them.
Grab the hat!
Grab the umbrella!
See?
The lights!
Use the lights!
Like this:


















Look, I tell them, go on the webz and copy something!
I know they see it, but they can't translate it into their own work.
Or they don't know how to deconstruct it.
Or something.
Okay, some of them get it.
I had a bunch coming in on their own time to fool with the lights and work it.
Work it baby!
I think maybe it's me.
I set the expectations too high and they don't want to give me any crappy work.
Don't give me any crappy work! I tell them.
Or maybe they're just ashamed to work it in front of the whole class.
Work it baby:


























This ain't like pulling teeth!
Put a dude here, put a girl there, put a light here, put a light there.
Shoot away!
I know they can do it.
I know.
So why don' they?
Really?
Do I need to show you again?
Grab that camera!
Stand here.
You stand there.
Hold this.
Look surprised:

















Seriously, it took me two minutes to think that one up.
Wait.
I'm the one with the degree, I'm the one that's supposed to be teaching this stuff.
Can you teach art?
Can you teach creativity?
They got the technical skills.
Mostly.
What I can't give them, not in the time I have, is my background.
They haven't seen all I've seen.
Hell, some of them can't even see yet!
I often forget that some can't visualize; put it all together in your head.
Seems so easy for me I have a hard time relating with those who struggle.
Need a new plan.
Try a different angle.
Or something.
On Monday.

No comments: