Monday, May 20, 2013

Goodbye, Hello!

Goodbye Seniors!
Bon Chance!
Hello World!
Which is what the graduating class of 2013 is saying this morning.
I got in to see the parking lot full and wondered what the hell was going on.
Then I remembered that it was Project Graduation and most the graduates spent the night here on campus.
Sort of a way to keep out of mischief; you know, new found freedom and all that.
Roll back about 14 hours:



















Getting ready!
Folks started lining up two hours before the ceremony.
Non ticket holders in the back on the field:



















The letters on the trees are for the graduates to go to after the ceremony.  That way family and friends know where to look for them.
It was an overcast day, and we were hoping it wouldn't....



















Poor kids!
The skies opened up right before they made their entrance.
Er, exit.
The rain was a blessing.
It's a local thing.
Fortunately the ceremony was short, they don't read names, but wouldn't you know it, right when it ended the rain stopped and we got a bit of sun!
The kids filed out into the field and to their respective letters and got swallowed up the crowd:



















I was going to visit some kids I had and wish them luck, but I didn't feel like wading through a couple thousand folks just to say hey.
It was pretty crazy out there!
I gotta say, most of the kids I ain't worried about.
Some of them though, I wonder if I/we did our jobs and did enough to prepare them for the real world.
I suppose we can only give them the tools, it's up to them to use it.
As Mr. Spock would say: live long and prosper.
There's still some to do as the year wraps up.
I got some final projects to go over and some paperwork to finish up.
I've also started thinking about this year and the mistakes I made and what I'll be doing different next year.
More on this later.

2 comments:

Steve A said...

The letters were an EXCELLENT idea. Texas Tech depended on people using cell phones.

limom said...

A tradition here for as long as I can remember.
The letters thingy I mean.