Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday Early Edition

So I finally figured out that the scanners at school can do slides.
Which is a good thing, since I got a GAGILLION slides that have been sitting in a drawer well, sitting in a drawer.
There's a slide/film holder thingy that sits on the glass and I believe it scans from the lid:

























I'm scanning at max resolution so four slides takes a couple of minutes.
Fortunately I got slaves, I mean students to help me and I let them do it.
Hey! I give them extra credit!
Anyways, the slides are all of my older work, you know, from back in the olden days when we actually used film, and I haven't looked at them in years.
The slides I mean.
A lot of ceramic stuff was sold and most of my sculpture stuff was either dismantled or given away.
The thing about slides is you gotta put them in the right way or you get this:
















You don't know you got that backwards stuff unless the piece has a recognizable face, which the pottery doesn't have.
The "Gone Fishing" by the way was a kinetic piece that my brother has; one day I'll go over there and take a video of the motion.
Here's the back:
















The motions are all actuated by cams.
If you, the reader, have been following along at home you know that most of my stuff was kinetic but I did do some static stuff too:

























I fabricated the triangles and welded them together so they looked like they were falling.
I'm still sorting through all the slides cause there are like good ones and bad ones for if you remember film the deal was you bracketed the images so I got three pictures of every angle of everything.
If you know what I mean.
I gotta say, it's comforting to finally have the images digitally converted.
It was sort of like they didn't exist and now at least I can look back on those days with some fondness.
The days I can remember.
If I can remember.
Another life don't you know.
I'm also starting to scan my old film pictures to digital files, this I can do at home since I got me a brand spanking new printer.
Just like a trip down memory lane, except with like physical evidence.
If you know what I mean.

No comments: