Saturday, February 22, 2014

New Stuff!

Tax returns don't you know.
I've been holding off on some of this, trying to decide whether or not I really need it.
I mean I don't really any of this stuff, but I decided to create a need.
If you know what I mean.
Finally I got a new camera bag.
I mean yet another bag:

















That's the old bag in back.
I'm still trying to travel as light as possible but the old bag was just wasn't cutting it anymore.
Besides, I needed the new bag to carry this:

























Okay, it's just a lens, but it's a lens I'be been thinking about for some time.
At f1.2, it's only a tad faster than a 1.4 and to be honest I'm not sure it's worth it but I thought I'd give it a try.
So far so good:



















Because of the fast design, the lens it supposed to have some qualities that make it different.
The depth of field is like razor thin and it's supposed to have a certain look.
To be honest I haven't seen it yet, but I really haven't taken it through the paces.
In my head I'm still visualizing what I want my pictures to look like and I think I'm getting closer.
While I appreciate sharpness and contrast, sometimes so much so that I forget about composition, I'm looking for a certain softness and glow.
Something like this:


















Most of look I'm well, looking for depends a lot on the lighting, but that's pretty darn close.

















At first glance the images may look a bit out of focus (OOF) but they really aren't.
The glow of the light combined with the lack of contrast creates this softness that I really like.
Those images came from this:

















That's right triangulation fans!
The Nikon S2 with 50mm f1.4 lens!
Fifty year old rangefinder goodness!
Oh this puppy has been on the ole Flat Tire Radar (FTR) for a while and figured I might as well see what it's all about.
Before I even mutter the 'L' word.
More on the 'L' word later.
While I've only put a roll through the S2 I really like it.
It does have some quirks though but they are not deal breakers.
I'm really digging the images that it made.

















In my mind, that's analog photography.
Okay, I'm off to test that puppy out with some slow speed film to see what it can really do.
Later today I'm taking a couple of students with me into the concrete jungle to take some street pictures.
Stay tuned.

2 comments:

GreenComotion said...

The pics and the bag are very nice. Is the bag water repellent?
Peace :)

limom said...

The bag is really nice, it's a Crumpler.
The flap covers the inside and is supposed to be waterproof.
It does not have a rain fly like other bags though.