Saturday, December 19, 2009

Running Out of Time

There is only six days until you know when and I'm not half finished with my projects.
Tomorrow, I still have to throw some more mugs and finish them off by Wednesday.
I think I can do it, but that's not what this is all about.
Finishing my mugs I mean.
I was thinking today, of all the time I spend in dialysis.
Counting the time it takes to get there, I figure it comes to around eighteen hours a week.
That's almost a whole day.
Well, it is a whole day considering the time I am awake.
Then I started thinking about what I could get done in one day.
I thought of a lot of stuff.
I mean if you are like me, there's probably a GAGILLION things that have to be done, things that you've always wanted to do, but just don't have the time.
So I thought about this. Not for too long though, see I didn't want to waste time.
I don't usually make resolutions for the new year, but I think this year I'm going to try to do something different.
I'm going to try to remember that time is precious.
Like money, it doesn't grown on trees, and there is no infinite supply of it.
See this goes back to the eighteen hours every week that I have to spend at my part time job. Dialysis is like my part time job; I have to do it or something really bad happens.
I was thinking about what I can do to get those eighteen hours back. I mean somewhere along the line, there's gotta be eighteen hours of time where I'm really just wasting it, right?
I spend a lot of time watching T.V. I even spend a lot of time writing this blog.
There are many things that I consider essential to the quality of my waking hours.
Then again, are they?
I don't really have to watch that episode of Law & Order again for the fifth time.
Okay, okay, I know, I'm starting to ramble again.
I think you get the point.
Anyways, part of it is that I've dealt with the physical part of my affliction; perhaps only now I've come to terms with the mental part of it.
I've been dipping at the well figuring it would never go dry.
I'm going to start looking at my watch in a different way.
Starting today.
I don't want to run out of time.

2 comments:

dogimo said...

We're all going to run out of time mah man.

But of course - making the time you spend count, directing your time consciously instead of falling by default into whatever, that's got to be a good thing. A big difference.

limom said...

Not really alluding to the big clock. More like the small one, the everyday one.
It's also possible that it's all the pottery thing and the firing that has me looking for more time.
Getting back into the process has made me realize just how much time I creatively waste.