Monday, February 1, 2010

A Day Like No Other

Yes it was.
Oh, it started off just as nice as you please.
My ride today I mean.
Yet something was different.
Something was wrong.
Or maybe something was right.
It was one of those days where I felt like I could have pedaled off the face of the earth.
I could have started off on Mokapu Boulevard and pedaled like hell and put myself into freakin orbit!
I could have rode my bike to Mars even.
Except I had to get back for today is Monday, and Monday is Chuck night.
Something must be wrong.
Or maybe something was just right.
It was dead calm.
Dead.
Calm.
No wind.
Whatsoever. What. So. Ever.
I was floating over the pavement.
It was so good, I didn't even bother to yell at the people going the wrong way on the bike path. I just glided past them.
Mere earthlings.
Just to set the record straight, I wasn't going fast or anything.
Well, I was going a bit faster than normal; no wind don't you know.
It wasn't speed, oh no.
It was smoothness.
Yeah, smoothness.
I wasn't a huffing and a puffin. I wasn't pulling a Devo and Jerkin Back and Forth. I wasn't even breakin a sweat.
Okay, I perspired a bit. Just not that industrial waste perspiration that gets in your eyes and burns your corneas out.
Lemme tell you, things were going so good, I was afraid to look down at the evil computer.
Lest it burst my bubble.
Shoot me off of my cloud.
If I was in the zone today, it must have been the Twilight Zone for I dropped Sir Isaac Newton on the straight and defied the freakin laws of gravity.
No tire tracks today thank you.
If I could take what I had today and if I could bottle it or can it or dry it out and make a powder out of it, I wouldn't sell it.
No, I'd rent a storage unit somewhere, and in the dark of night visit it every once in a while just to make sure it was still there.
Much too precious for mere mortals.
I wouldn't touch any of it for I would know, I would know that if I did, I would have to do it all.
I would know, because just like today, I didn't want to stop.
No way was I stopping.
I was riding this wave all the way in.
I was in the curl at Jeffries Bay and that wall looked like it was going on forever!
But Chuck was on at seven so I had to come home.
I'm still thinking about it though.
That ride I had to today.
Thinking and wondering when and if it will happen again.

No comments: