Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Final

Only three weeks to go before Something Wonderful/Hele On Kailua!
Now we are meeting every weekend, and we'll continue up until the event.
Meeting every weekend I mean.
Things are slowly coming together.
I'm not so involved anymore, since school started back up, but there's still some small but little things to take care of.
I still need to submit our event maps to the city and fire department, and take care of the street barriers and the tables, stage and chairs we need.
I'm more the event site person and I'm leaving the organizing of activities to other capable folks.
Speaking of activities, we got some zumba folks, yoga folks, kids singing folks, and bicycle club folks all taking the center stage.
We also have a 5k run going on before the event and two rides planned.
One goes out to the nearby Marine Corps Base Hawaii, the other comes close to Flat Tire Central.
Out at one of the parks, we have bicycle education and maybe some boot camp fitness type stuff.
So far four of the six bicycle shops on the island are involved, the other two aren't committed.
Yet.
We also have two major health care providers, with one more in the works.
Lemme tell you, putting this whole thing together is one logistical nightmare, something that can get away from you fast unless you got a good handle on it.
Which I think we do.
Have a handle on it I mean.
Sort of interesting, but there's not a whole lot of community backing or involvement.
I've tried to get in touch with the local chamber of commerce, but have not heard back.
As of today, there are no Kailua merchants other than Whole Foods, directly involved with the event.
More on this later.
There is also a rather intriguing back story to this whole thing that I hope to one day tell, but for now we've decided to keep it under wraps.
Drama don't you know.
If you've been following along at home you, the reader, know that I've pulled some sponsor stuff off our pages and it has something to do with the drama.
Maybe.
Anyways, we are 21 days out and counting.
I can't wait for it to happen and I also can't wait for it to be over!
If you know what I mean.
Here's hoping my head doesn't explode before then.

No comments: