Tuesday, October 6, 2009

You Are What You Eat

If this were true, I'd look like a blueberry muffin.



As I get older, my dining habits have gotten better. I try to eat fresh fruits and I don't eat a lot of red meat. For some odd reason, I cannot eat whole grains, which suits me fine for whole grain bread tastes like a combination of sawdust and cardboard.
I seem to have taken a liking to chicken. It's strange for I don't seem to remember being particularly enamored to chicken no matter how it was prepared, but presently I eat it all the time.
Don't get me wrong, I don't eat chicken all the time.
I still like my Burger King Whoppers with cheese, Teddy's Bigger Teri-Burgers, Italian food and Libby's manapuas and pork hash(dim sum for you non-local folk).
The thing is that although I may stray to the places above perhaps once or twice a month, they are but small diversions on the great chicken highway.
My eating habits have become routine over the last two years. I eat out three times a week. When I say eat out, I mean sit down at a table with my newspaper and take my time to finish my meal eat out. These meals have become so important to me that I plan my days around them and I make sure that I don't miss them. I look forward to these meals and I don't like my routine interrupted.
I don't like to admit it but I've become a creature of habit.
It bothers me some that I've taken so much of a liking to chicken. My diet was previously much more varied and interesting.
I think what happened is that these three meals have become so important to me, so much a part of my weekly pleasure, that I eat the same thing because I won't let myself be disappointed by dining on something inferior.
So what do I eat?
Boneless Chicken from Ritchie's Drive In:



Chicken Cutlet from L&L:



Now, I like a little variety in life, so sometimes I'll eat at Ritchie's two times a week and L&L only once, then I'll eat at L&L two times and Ritchie's once.
As far as I know, there's only one Ritchie's, but to find a good chicken cutlet at L&L was difficult. I think I tried three or four different L&L places before settling on the one I go to.
And which L&L do I go to? Well, let me just say it's not any of the ones in Kailua.
Anyways, I keep telling myself that this infatuation with chicken cannot last. The last time I was compulsive about eating the same thing was ordering Dos Burritos from Cisco's Cantina here in Kailua. I stopped eating there because they closed down. Well, I'm sure something will come along to break the evil chicken spell.
Yes, I have declared chicken to be evil.
So if you see someone that looks like a chicken riding around Kailua with blueberry muffins strapped to his bike:
That would be me.

No comments: