Thursday, April 22, 2010

Famous Last Words(FLWs)

One more pull.
That's the potter's famous last words.
You got this really nice tall cylinder of clay going on the wheel and you think to yourself, I'll just crank it up one more time.
Of course it collapses.
Famous last words usually precede a disastrous event that could have been prevented if the FLW had not been uttered.
Or if better judgement had prevailed.
I got it.
Don't worry, I've done this lots of times.
Push harder.
Try that lever.

Of course no one knows it's FLWs until after they say it. It's one of those things you have to experience yourself in order to fully understand it. Once you do, it tends to leave a lasting impression and the recollection of that moment usually prevents one from repeating such an act of recklessness.
Of course there are those that just don't learn.
I wonder what this thing does.
No one tells
me what to do.
That'll never happen again.
This is going to be a walk in the park.

I'm not sure what causes some to be repeat offenders, though I could probably hazard a guess. The ones that err on the other side of caution or perhaps are much too sure of themselves seem to fit the profile.
I try to give these sorts a wide berth.
I mean sometimes you can just see it coming.
Give it some more gas.
I wonder what this button does.
If he can do it, so can I.
Lightning never strikes twice.

Then there are the unspoken FLWs.
You know you've done it. These are the FLWs that can never be said out loud for they border on the outrageous.
If only you could hear yourself say it, you'd know it.
You think others don't know, but oh, it's so obvious.
Unfortunately, you don't figure it out until it's too late.
She'll never find out.
No one will ever know but me.
I look good in this.
This is a great idea.

No one ever likes to admit their FLWs.
Too embarrassing; too self incriminating.
Yet, one should be proud.
It requires a high level of skill to reach FLWs greatness.
I'll never write a blog.

No comments: