Saturday, April 17, 2010

Only the Lonely

No, not the Roy Orbison classic.
I was thinking of the song by the Motels and the beautiful voice of Martha Davis.
Not what this is about.
I was thinking about how I prefer to ride my bike alone.
I mean I don't not like to ride with others, I just rather ride by myself.
When you ride solo, you don't have to worry about someone behind you or in front of you. You set your own pace and distance and just go.
For me, the allure of riding is to get away from people.
Not that I'm anti-social or anything.
Okay, you guys that know me, stop laughing.
I'm trying to make a point here.
In much of my working, making a living life, I've had to deal with people. Now that's not a bad thing; I wouldn't have done it if I didn't enjoy it.
I just don't need to interact with people all the time.
Social butterfly I'm not. I prefer the cocoon thank you.
Riding is sort of my cocoon if you please, a place where it's just me and me. I get to ride around for a couple of hours and be alone with my thoughts. A time for me to reflect on the day and do a bit of self assessment. I get to clear my head, breath in some fairly clean air, and reset the resolve I need to make it through the week.
These are things that I can't do if I'm worrying about someone on my wheel.
At the same time, I seek out a kind of reassurance.
By reassurance, I mean a sense of place. That what I'm doing, my actions, are not completely unique.
Seeing others riding alone comforts me.
Knowing that there are others out there, like me, makes me part of a group.
Sort of.
If you know what I mean.
There is no secret hand shake or code. For the most part, we ignore each other as we pass on the road.
A nod perhaps, or maybe a "hey" is all you'll get from us.
A club that everyone, yet no one belongs to.
Exclusive membership don't you know.
It's just me and road today baby.
No cars, no pedestrians, nothing.
Just me and that white line that seems to go on forever.
It seems like I've been pedaling forever.
I wish I could go on forever.
Just me and my bike.
Going down the road.

No comments: