Thursday, September 9, 2010

Disaster at the Skunkworks!

Sort of.
I mean it could be worse.
I guess.
I come home today to take the UFT III out of the kiln. All is good.
So far.
Upon inspection, I notice a couple of small cracks along the joints:



Nothing too bad, I can cover that up with the glaze. There's another crack on the other landing gear too:



Again, not too bad, I can-



AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!
MOMMY!
My thingy went go brokey!
Okay, get a grip!
I think I can fix this.
This being The Flat Tire Skunkworks, don't you know.
Taking a look at where the wheel broke off, it seems like it wasn't attached very well in the first place:




That area should not be smooth like it is. One of the rear gear fell off before I fired it, but it attached right back up. I should have checked the others before sending it to the kiln.
Okay.
What I can do is try and prop it up in the glaze fire and hope the glaze "glues" it together. The glaze will hopefully melt the two parts together.
Big if.
Really though, my only choice. I could also fire the two pieces like that and then glue the wheel on, but that's sort of cheating.
Setting the wheel will be the last thing I do before I close the kiln.
I hope it works.
I really don't want to have to make another one.
Though maybe I should.
You never know.

2 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

I laughed. I'm sorry. But the way you sequenced those photos just had that effect. If you can make a glued joint look right, I don't think that's cheating. That's pretty hard.

limom said...

No apologies needed!
I suppose the look on my face when that wheel fell off was comical indeed!
I also have to admit, I did fudge the sequence of events a bit.
The Flat Tire Body Work and Paint is now open.