Sunday, September 5, 2010

Epic Fail!

Another Sunday, another big Oh Boy!
I'm still sort of piqued.
I got up bright and early this morning to start on my teapot creations.
I had a couple of ideas I wanted to try out.
Once in a while you get a bad of clay that for some reason is ready to go.
Sometimes the clay is little hard and it seems like it fights you all the way.
This clay, this morning, boy, it was like it was throwing itself!
Either that or my Jedi skills are peaking!
So first I made some forms:




As you can see, I wanted to do two very different types of pots.
I did the lids and then proceeded to do the nozzles.
I like making the nozzles.
I like saying the word nozzles:




I was loaded for bear!
So I let the whole shebang sit a while and get a little stiff.
Then I set upon making the wheels.
I did a set just like on the UFT II, and I also made up a special set, which took a bit longer.
Then I started to put everything together.
The first one went okay, but I sort of hit a snag.
The special wheels weren't working out too good.
I fooled around with them for a bit before putting it away and moving on. I figure I'll get to it tomorrow after thinking about it a bit.
Then I started on the the second teapot.
Things were going well, so I started to mock up the wheels to see how it would look.
I sit back in my chair, turn my head, and PLOP!
There's nothing quite like the sound of your hard work falling off the banding wheel thingy and hitting the table.
By this time, I was pretty tired and getting a bit cranky.
It was at this point when I knew that I was done:



The pot was damaged beyond repair so I made sure it was damaged beyond repair.
I had set the pot up on a sponge to lift it up a little so I could see how the wheels would look and it fell off when the wind blew.
I'm pretty sure I'm not doing that again.
Well at least I still got the first one I started.
So that sets me back a little. I still have next weekend to try and make something, but I really wanted to save next week to glaze. I may just try and fix the lid on the UFT II and enter that.
We'll see.
I think trying to get two of these things done in one day is bit much. I'll work on them one at a time from now on.
Oh, and now I got an extra set of wheels.

2 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

Through error do we learn...to improve our nozzles.

limom said...

Well, at least I didn't let the nozzles go to waste.
Some of them anyways.
I think I'm going to fire that thing just to remind me of what not to do.
Glaze it and all!