Saturday, April 9, 2011

Checklist

Bike.
Check!
Me.
Check!
Map:



Check!
Okay.
That's about it!
Okay, not really.
About the map I mean.
It's pretty hard to get lost.
Me being me, of course there's more to it than that.
I've actually reduced the ole ride kit to what I condsider the bare essentials:



Pump, gauge, tire thingy, dental floss, patch kit, monocular, and some pieces of old tube.
Oh, and I forgot to add the extra tube in there.
That's on top of my seat bag with another tube and my CO2 stuff and multi-tool.
I also got some food bars and stuff to add the Clif Shots I usually carry:



One of my problems last year was hydration and fuel.
I'm not making that mistake again this year.
I usually carry only one water bottle but I'm thinking of putting on the other cage and taking along two.
The weather is not going to be all nice and sunny, it's been fairly overcast and a bit humid:



If the weather continues, I'll need the extra water.
Maybe an extra pair of legs too.
If you know what I mean.
Since I'm doing it solo this year, I'll be able to ride at my own pace.
I figure to do the first leg without stopping too much since it's on the mauka(mountain) side of the road. It's also into the wind but hopefully I can make some time there so that I can sort of cruise coming back and get some photos.
The Haleiwa Metric Century starts at 7:30AM, I hope to finish in around five hours.
That sounds pretty slow, but remember, I'm taking like a GAGILLION pictures!
Well, we'll see what the elapsed time comes out to.
Maybe not, it might be too embarrassing.
If you know what I mean.

5 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

I would say putting the other water bottle on the bike is a must...I tend to drink about 750ml of energy drink each hour on an event.

Best of luck with this and enjoy...!

-Trevor

Rat Trap Press said...

Good luck on your century. I've never thought of carrying a monocular, that's a great idea!

Steve A said...

I'm sure you've done well, and look forward to the gagillion pictures!

John Romeo Alpha said...

I thought maybe that first image was a vertical profile, and I thought, YIKES! The monocular is a good idea, what do you see with it on a ride like this?

limom said...

Trevor, second water bottle cage.
Check!

RTP, sometimes the only way for me to keep in touch with riding partners.

Steve A., well it's still looking cloudy, hopefully it will clear up some.

JRA, if it was a vertical profile well, let's not talk about that.
The monocular of course, is strictly for scientific purposes.
Seeing how I will be riding past the beach and all.

Off I go!