Friday, April 29, 2011

Deux Anniversaire Special! A Look Back

Okay, this is more than a few days late.
I wrote it then forgot about it in the drafts file.


Boy, I make that sound like I've been doing this for years!
Well, it has been years, two to be exact.
To tell you truth, I didn't think I'd last this long.
Especially when you don't have that much to say.
Which means I have to make a lot of stuff up.
Active imagination and all that.
Okay, not really.
About the making stuff up part.
Maybe.
So anyways, what better way to document the blog but to take a look back at all the bikes I've had.
Interesting to note that none of the bicycles I started with are in my possession.
All have gone on to hopefully better places.
Except my first bike:



Yes sport fans, the bicycle that started it all!
My first Rockhopper.
I didn't know any better and a bicycle was just a bicycle.
A way to get out of the house and get some exercise.
The beginning of the self torture.
I started off going like three miles to the store, then coming home and having a hard time walking down the stairs.
I did do half the Honolulu Century Ride on this bike though.
As far as I know, it's oxidizing in my brother's patio.
I may have to rescue it.
Then came the upgrade and some big wheels:



From Rockhopper to Rockcrusher!
Or something.
Fully hybrided out for speed!
Changed everything possible for that custom look.
Here's where I started to get serious!
Sort of.
Did last year's Haleiwa Metric Century on it.
I thought I'd miss that bike, since I put some miles on it, but now that it's gone, well, it's gone.
Actually I miss riding on my Chris King wheels.
Frameset resides someplace in San Antonio Texas.
Around that same time, I got this:



Honestly, I think I put maybe a hundred miles on it.
It sat mostly on display in my living room.
I never got comfortable on it and it served only to confirm my unfounded aversion to all things roadie.
My first glimpse at the dark side.
So much has changed!
I believe that bike is on the other side of the island.
The Allez did serve a purpose though, it allowed me to acquire this:



Actually there one was one bicycle before this one, the same thing just one size smaller.
I traded it in for one size larger.
Now I missed this bike.
Oh the convenience!
I still have the front basket.
I'd take it out to the store and end up doing twenty miles.
Just for fun.
Still, there was something about it that just didn't grow on me.
If you know what I mean.
So I salvaged this from the local co-op:



Ah yes, the beach bike.
Destined to never take me to the beach.
The Lanikai Express.
It now resides in My Friend Marc's garage.
Come to think about it, that bike was like Linus' blanket.
It was my Just in Case bicycle.
I miss having it around.
At least I can visit.
Which brings us to the Celeste Devil:



Enlightenment.
Nuff said.
Get it? road bike? enlighten?
Nevermind.
Then there is the current project, pieces of which occupy the floor of the living room:



Will it capture my soul?
It certainly has captured my wallet.
What will the future bring?
More steel?
Carbon fibre?
Aluminium?
Titanium?
Unobtanium?
Stay tuned.
And thank you, the reader, for coming along for the ride.

4 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

Congratulations, happy birthday, your bike shed needs a revolving door, I think. Will you find The One? Your readers want to know! Maybe.

limom said...

Merci!
Ah the Quest for the Holy Quail, I mean Grail.
Didn't do Arthur's knights much good.
Something tells me though, I'll keep looking.

Big Oak said...

Happy Anniversary!

You are on a fantastic journey!

limom said...

Thanks!
Wait.
Does that mean I'm shrinking?