Saturday, April 30, 2011

Do You Apply or Leave It Dry?

That is the question.
I've been pondering this question for a while now since it seems that most folks do but all the other folks I know don't.
I've never had the chance to do any real testing until I got this:



It's been sitting there, a nagging and a calling me, but I have resisted the urge to apply.
So far.
I admit it's mostly out of curiosity, since I've never had any chaffing or weirdness on my tush.
So I don't seem to need it.
Still.
I keep looking at it.
I mean it says right there: improves performance.
If you've been following along at home, you, the reader, know that I need all the performance improving I can get.
I'm wondering just how much faster that stuff will make me go.
Maybe I should use them on my wheel bearings!
Speaking of wheels, now that I have the Unobtainable Lightness of Roundess, I can see about fixing the spoke on my Campagnolo Protons:



How that spoke got bent like that I dunno, but I've been riding it like that without problem.
Still, it bothers me and the wheel is slightly out of round.
As you can see, it's got a funky flange and the nipples are those ninja types that are hidden in the rim so I don't know if it's something I can do myself.
I'll take the wheel apart today and take a look see.
I figure it's a good time to service the rear hub too.
That'll be a first for me.
What is not a first is my ordering of wrong stuff.
If you recall, I lost an SPD cleat bolt and had to buy a whole new set of cleats to replace it.
Well, me being me, I went on the eVilness and ordered a couple extras, one to replace the one I took out of the new set and one for a spare.
Wouldn't you know it?
I got the wrong size:



What a banana head!
I thought the measurement was for the threaded part only, not the whole bolt!
Boy, I'm accumulating a lot of useless stuff!
Speaking of useless stuff, I added another seat post to my growing collection:



Boy, I wish I had a TIG welder so I could maybe start making some kind of sculpture out them.
I have a college degree in that stuff don't you know.
Sculpture I mean, not seat posts.
Or maybe I should strip them down and make some wind chimes.
Or maybe I could use one of them to prop up that cactus that's growing all funky:



Gee, it sort of reminds me of that bent spoke!
It looks like it could use some 26.8mm support.
Oh, and I got another seat post on the way.
Hopefully this one is the correct size.
Hopefully.
So anyways, I got that performance improver stuff sitting there, sort of staring at me.
I sort of want to try it, then again, I sort of don't.
If you know what I mean.
If it ain't broke, don't fixte it.
On the other hand, if I like it, I wonder if it's available in like a Costco size?
I may just let sleeping doggies sleep.
If you know what I mean.

1 comment:

Steve A said...

I don't embrocate. I have talked about it at http://dfwptp.blogspot.com/2010/02/cyclings-deep-secret.html