Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday Early Edition

Whew!
It's been hot here.
I mean muggy drippy sweaty just sitting still hot.
It's actually better to be out on the road where at least you can sort of create your own breeze.
If you know what I mean.
I guess summer is almost here.
Which is why I sort of surprised to see this:



The kolea or Pacific Golden Plover, is a migratory bird that we usually only see during the winter months.
I know it's still April and I'm not a kolea watcher but still it was sort of unusual to see this guy or gal when the weather is so warm.
See by now, the kolea usually go back up north where they make babies and stuff.
Lemme tell you, it ain't easy being a kolea!
Every winter, they make a rather long journey, coming on a non-stop flight from Alaska and parts there of, flying like 2500 miles, just to vacation here for a bit.
Actually if you think about it, that's pretty smart for I don't think I'd like to spend my winters in Alaska!
Not that there's anything wrong with Alaska.
Anyways, the incredible thing about these birds is that when they come back to the islands, they come back to the exact same place!
Every year!
That kolea above, is probably the same one I saw last year!
If you want more about this hearty bird, see here.
So anyways, I was cooling my jets drinking a cream soda, thinking of whatever it is I usually think about when I'm drinking a cream soda and suddenly! something pops into my head.
Things have way of doing that don't you know.
Popping into my head I mean.
It occurred to me that I may or may not need some road shoes.
You know, shoes made for road bike type clip in thingys with the three pukas in the sole.
I gotta tell you, the only reason I'm looking at em is that I feel sort of goofy riding a road bike with them SPDs.
Just doesn't look kosher:



Notice I said look, cause I don't think I'll be able to tell difference if I changed to road shoes for the MTB shoes I got are pretty good to go and I don't really feel like I need them.
Except for looks.
Repeat after me: image is everything.
Well, the platform is a bit larger on road pedals so that's supposed to help.
I mean I need something to help tame the GAGALLION watts of power these menacing thighs produce.
Besides that, I can't really think of another reason why I should go all roadie on myself.
I mean for one thing, them MTB shoes are easy to walk in.
Not that I do a lot of walking when I'm riding around biking.
If you know what I mean.
I like the dual sided clip in the SPDs have, not having to flip the pedal over and such.
They also happen to be fairly inexpensive to replace, the cleats and all.
Still, them pedals are starting to wear a bit into my high tech carbon soles.
I can also get me some roadie pedals in guess what? celeste!
If I can get me some SIDIs and some Castelli bibs and some Campagnolo jerseys, I can complete the package be a full on Italian Jedi of the Alloy Goodness(IJAG).
Ciao Gina!
Or something like that.
Still, I like walking and not having to ice skate down the isles of the 7-11.
On the other hand, the red of some Look Keos would look pretty nice cause everyone knows red is like the fastest color!
Rosso!
Boy, maybe I should stop drinking cream sodas.
Or something.
Anyways, I'll be thinking of new shoes and looking out for wayward birds on my ride today.
Maybe I'll be a little wayward myself.
Whatever that means.

3 comments:

Steve A said...

Getting "frog walker" pedals seems to be carrying celeste a step too far (pun intended). I like the single-sided Wellgo magnesium pedals myself...

TrevorW�� said...

I use SPD on the Tifosi.....but on the Felt I use SPD-SL. Different pair of shoes for each bike, Shimano RO99 for the Felt and RT51 for the Tifosi.
Once clipped in the shoes look very similar...
I certainly wouldn't want to walk far in the RO99 shoes.

limom said...

I'm still thinking about this.
I mean I like walking like a normal person but the increased contact area looks nice too.