Thursday, April 21, 2011

Getting Hosed

I'm talking seriously bent over.
As in taking a major bath.
The good news is that the frame I sold on the eVilness is on it's way.
The bad news is that shipping stuff to the mainland ain't all it's cracked up to be.
I had the frame wrapped in bubblicious goodness and got this box:



I don't know exactly what that box was for, I got it at The Warehouse and had to modify it to the size of the frame.
Well, I was thinking it's kinda on the large size, so when I stopped off at the LBS to get me a new cleat bolt, I also got me bicycle box.
To save me some shipping money don't you know.
Well, it turns out that the LBS don't sell the cleat bolts separately, so that's right, you guessed it!
I had to buy another set of cleats:



Well okay, I didn't have to get them.
The other day, when I lost that sucker, I went on the eVilness and to got me a couple of them bolts as spares.
The thing is, I sort of want to ride my bike tomorrow, so I sort of needed a cleat bolt today.
If you know what I mean.
Now I got me an extra set of cleats.
Which I guess is good thing.
Even if I didn't need it.
So anyways, I get the box, which is smaller than the that humungasoid box above, wrap up the frame and head out to the local UPS store.
They must have seen me coming.
I don't remember, but I may have been wearing my "sucker" shirt.
Okay, UPS wants and arm and a leg so off I go to the local Post Office.
They want only an arm, but it'll take like three weeks to deliver.
Well, three weeks isn't going to do my eVilness rating any good so back I went to the UPS store to get hosed.
In a friendly sort of way.
Apparently, my guesstimate of the shipping was way off for most of the stuff that comes in via UPS is on commercial accounts and I don't get a commercial rate.
Boy did that hurt.
In a pocket book sort of way.
Well I limp out of there tenderly rubbing my backside.
That's okay though for I got something to take care of the pain:



Okay, not really.
About the pain I mean.
Hopefully though, it makes riding my bicycle a bit more comfortable.
I've been eyeballing the fi'zi:k Arione for some time, waiting for a used one to pop up. I mean I've been reading wonderful things about it so I decided to give it a try.
The bonus is, if you've been following along at home, is it has one of those seat bags that snaps on:



Now I can reap the full benefits of my aero seat post and really go out and crush some souls.
Sort of like how my soul got crushed at the UPS store today.
Boy if that ain't karma, I don't know what is.

5 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

A great saddle and bag combo....I have the exact same saddle and bag on the Felt. As you say, really good for crushing souls.....

-Trevor

Steve A said...

I've been dreaming about the same seat - only in white. The bag looks like a worthwhile addition to the dream...

limom said...

Trevor, good to hear! I was worried some for I sort of remember reading the bag would pop off?
Maybe that was another click on bag.

Steve A., while I like my Selle Italia, the Arione popped up on CL for like half price so I had to jump on it.
Now I will sit on it.
I also just missed a Brooks B17 for sixty bucks.

Rat Trap Press said...

The only time I've shipped a frame to somebody it cost about $120 through UPS. It's not cheap.

limom said...

I don't feel so bad now, it only cost me $150.