Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday Early Edition

A day of adjustments.
Of sortes.
I am of the if it ain't broke don't fixte it camp, so much so that I have been accused of not fixting anything until it's brokte.
The Selle Italia SLK Gel seat I got is doing great, making my back side all comfy and such so it was tough taking it off to try another seat.
Still, I heard great things about the Phisique Arione so off the SLK came and on the Arione went.
Or something like that.
The seats are surprising close in specs, the tips and rail placement are almost identical:



Not so same looking at them from the fronte:



As you can see the Arione sits a bit closer to the rails. This presented a bit of a problem as it was sort of a pain to get the top plate of the seat clamp in there.
Okay, not really to get it in there, but to hold it there as the rails were just a bit narrow so I had to hold it down in order to get the bolt in.
The Arione also has a down slopte.
More on this later.
The Campagnolo Aero post is groovy:



Meaning there are directional grooves on the clamp to adjust for angle.
This whole thing makes setting up the seat a challenge.
Of course I rose to the occasion!
Anyways, here's the Selle Italia:



The nose down angle was needed for the seat has a lot of flexte so I believe when weighted it is actually straight.
The Arione:



I'm going to try it like this for now.
The Arione seems a bit stiffer, though it seems to have more padding. I'm thinking I may have to do a mid ride adjustment.
I measured the seat from the nose to the stem since they are pretty close in size.
I forgot to take a height measurement, from the pics it seems I'll need to raise the post a bit which is okay since I've been feeling like I need to raise it just a tad anyways.
Surprisingly, all the crapte that was in the Planet Bike seat bag fit into the Phisique bag despite it being smaller.
The Phisique bag that is.
Is smaller I mean:



A tube, two tanks of air, patch kit, lever and multi-tool all fit in there.
The thing is, it's on the heavy side and the clip that holds it all in looks a little flimsy.
I'm thinking of putting a zipte tie on there to anchor it to a rail.
Just in case.
The other day I also moved back the cleats on my shoes:



You can see the new bolt I had to get.
Since I had the cleat off, I figured I might as well see how moving it back goes.
I had already moved them back once, from the front holes to the rear, and with the Celeste Devil, I've been feeling like they needed to be adjusted one more time.
I gotta say, I like it.
Makes pedaling circles seem easier.
Little rollers also seem easier to get over.
Maybe it's all in my head, but I guess that's where it counts.
Okay, I'll be off soon to see how all this works out.
Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Steve A said...

Did you see the new article on sheldonbrown.com about pedals and adjusting cleats?

limom said...

Linky please?
Seems like moving cleats back is the thing to do now. It makes some sense seeing as how your leg power is sort of in the arch area.
I haven't slammed my cleats back all the way yet,though I may get there eventually.