Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Big Mamma

Sort of.
I mean it's sort of big, but not really.
First of all, on Thursday I went and shot some boys volleyball.
If you've been following along at home you, the reader, know that I shot some volleyball earlier in the year, girls volleyball.
Lemme tell you, boys volleyball is not your girls volleyball.
I mean it actually looks like volleyball compared to girls volleyball which looks like what it sounds like: girls volleying a ball around.
The boys actually set up their hitters and the game is much more under control.
Less volley and more spiking.
If you know what I mean.

















I didn't get a lot of shots, I was too distracted just watching.
We won two matches by the way.
I also have no sense of timing and it doesn't help that I seem to be a frame per second slow.
The good shot is in-between my shots:

















In other words, I missed a ton of shots!
Part of it I was working the net, sitting right under the upper referee and the angle was all wrong.
I decided that I needed to work the end line, you know, in the back.
Except that I don't have a fast long lens.
Until now:



















That's right polished glass fans!
Big Mamma!
Okay, not really.
More like Medium Mamma:



















Medium and Fast Mamma.
Sort of.
I got Big Mamma to try out and see if I like the focal length and to see if it's fast enough.
Sometimes I think f2.8 ain't enough as it seems like our gym is lit by candles.
Anyways, I'm already shooting on the short side of the lens; I mostly use my 85mm f1.8.
I'm hoping Big Mamma will give me more diversity and allow me some different angles on the floor.
Next game is on Tuesday so I'll give it go and see what happens.
I'm a hankering to give this bad girl a try so I think I'm going out tonight and see what I can shoot.
I'm on vacation don't you know.
So off I go!

No comments: