Saturday, August 17, 2013

Mixed Bag

Well.
A couple of things I found out about film processing.
You can do it one hour, which is a good thing, but they can't do black and white, not the real kind.
So I guess if I want to use Tri X or something, I gotta find someplace else to process it.
You get your negatives back, which are scanned and put on a disc.
The negatives I mean, which is another good thing.
Total cost for pictures (24) and disc is around nine bucks, which ain't that bad.
That Canon AT-1 I got seems to be okay.
Sort of.










































Two night shots, the top one has some noise.
Same thing happened during the day:


































The top image also shows what looks like some light leakage in the body, either that or it's a really bad flare.
Close up, the lens isn't so bad:










































I've got to be careful about focus and depth of field though as my eyeballs aren't like everyone else's eyeballs and you can't adjust the viewfinder.
There's more evidence of some light leaking into the body, though it doesn't show up on all the pictures.
I'm gonna order me some light seal thingys and see if that cleans it up.
I gotta say though, I'm wondering if there's a place for film nowadays, some kind of niche it fills.
I'm not sure, especially since shooting with black and white will be problematic.
Photography analog is not like music analog where you can sort of tell there's a difference.
I wanted to say the images look "warmer," sort of how LP records sound warmer, but actually if you are like me and scrutinize stuff, going back to film may not be a good thing.
Especially since all the different films that used to be available aren't anymore and you can't pick and chose your favorite flavor.
I also forgot just how noisy film can be!
Actually I like noise, but only when using black and white.
There's also no control over post production, you get what you get, no PP adjustments like in digital.
I must say though, there is a certain romance about shooting a manual camera with film.
Sort of like riding a steel bicycle with Campagnolo on it: technology has moved on, but it still does what it's suppose to do.
Having to set the aperture and shutter before taking a shot, oh and don't forget to focus, was hard to get back to even though it was de rigueur once upon a time.
I dunno, there's something about manually advancing that film and seeing things spin and hearing that shutter chock! that's very nostalgic and natural.
Like going back to a childhood home, it's familiar yet so different.
For now it's more of a novelty.
I'll shoot a couple of more rolls (remember saying that?) and see what happens.
One thing is for sure, this is one camera I won't worry about when riding my bicycle.
I mean the Flat Tire Earth Machine.
Don't you know.

No comments: