Monday, August 23, 2010

1200 Miles! Invasion!

I wish I was young again.
Lost youth and all that.
I mean if I knew back then, what I know now, boy! what a ride it could have been.
This came up when I read about this seventeen year old girl's summer vacation.
In hell.
Bicycle hell.
Okay, not really, but sort of, if you know what I mean.
Seems for summer vacation she hopped on her bike and went like 1200 miles from New Hampshire to Michigan.
I don't know about you, but fifty miles is a bicycle hell for me, and lemme tell you, she went beyond the ninth ring or whatever you call it.
Okay, okay, it's not all about pain and suffering though I bet there were times she wished she had some electric assist.
You can read about it here.
What a great adventure!
Sleeping in trailer parks and backyards, places that when I was young, my mother would have nixed without a second thought.
Exploring the country side up close and personal, not through the window of a passing car.
I wish I had this kind of opportunity when I was young. I may have turned out differently.
My idea of adventure consisted of making believe a cardboard box was a spaceship and I was landing on the Moon.
Not when I was seventeen of course, when I was much younger(think single digit age group).
Then again, seventeen was about when I became a real space cadet.
I sort of still am.
Speaking of space, work continues in The Flat Tire Skunkworks(FTS) on more extra terrestial teapots.
Okay, they aren't really teapots anymore, not working ones anyways, but they do have spouts and handles.
Sort of.
As soon as I made the parts for this one, I didn't like it:



I realized right away, I liked the shape of the first one I did.
I kept going hoping for some divine intervention, but it never came. My ideas for the handle kept failing and it was getting late so as a last resort, well, you see what happened. Maybe the glaze will help it out.
I sort of lost interest in the first one I did for the second one showed more potential:



I have more goofiness planned for that one just to give it more character.
Or something.
I worked on those all day yesterday, and will try and finish them up tomorrow.
I'm trying to get some stuff done for there is a juried show coming up early next month. I need at least two pieces to make full use of the entry fees.
Hopefully one of my teapots can invade the show.

No comments: