Monday, August 2, 2010

First Day Back

Today was the first day back at work.
Okay, technically it was the second day, but I don't count the first day for nothing really happens and there aren't any kids yet.
Actually, today shouldn't really count either for I don't have an assignment yet and as a transitional orientation thing, only ninth graders were on campus.
Well there were other students on campus to guide the freshman around so again, that's not really true.
About only having ninth graders on campus I mean.
Sorry no pictures, for that that's like illegal or unethical or breech of the collective bargaining agreement.
Or something.
I did notice though, how peaceful, almost serene the campus was today. Being populated by wide eyed does getting their first taste of the big leagues helps.
Well it was sort of quiet(there I go again!) for the students had an assembly and had to run a gauntlet of made up of upper classmen guides chanting "good good morning!"
I was reminded of my kindergarten teacher on first day.
Not that I remember my first day of kindergarten, though I do remember my teacher.
It was interesting to watch these green peas start to stake out their territory.
Each grade level tends to gravitate to fixed locations; protection in numbers is my guess.
Poor things!
Little did they know that the hallway they had chosen to congregate in is always populated by seniors.
Thankfully, we have a large campus so they won't be homeless for too long.
As part of the freshman initiation, I mean orientation, the school drama club does it's thing and presents a sort of how to act/how not to act show.
Mostly it's "this is high school, grow up" and "avoid seniors and juniors at all cost!"
Valuable advice.
I worked ninth graders when I first started and to be honest, they seem to learn quickly that they are not in Kansas anymore. Whatever sense of entitlement they had back in intermediate school no longer applies so they adjust and walk softly.
Most of them.
There's always a few that want to stick up like nails waiting to get hammered down. I feel like I should advise and inform, but mostly those are the kids who don't get it until they, well, get it.
There is a new regime on campus too; the former principal retired last week and we're expecting a new administrator in a few months.
No easy task for the school is one of the largest in the state, surrounded by public housing and low to middle income families, with a large population of immigrants.
The good part is that most of the kids are good, they just don't know any better.
I guess that's what we're there for.
I enter this year with apprehension.
Don't get me wrong, I like my job, I just look forward to doing something different.
Last year I felt like it was a challenge with very little rewards.
The phrase "spinning my wheels" comes to mind as I felt like there was very little progress made.
Help me Rhonda if I get stuck doing the same thing as last year.
Part of the good stuff is that every year brings different challenges and the chance to make a difference.
In many ways, first day back for me is a lot like first day back for the students.

No comments: