Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Final

Ever go out with your family and have a picnic at the beach?
My family is sort of large so once we get the uncles and cousins together, we have a large group.
Or so I thought.
When I go through the park on my ride, I usually see large gatherings. I mean it's the weekend and that means family time.
Well, I was going through the park today, and I thought there was some kind of convention going on:



There must have been seating there for a good sixty to eighty folks. Of course you are required to have the jumpy thingy.
To make your picnic complete, you also need the band:



The only bad thing is that they were sort of far from the bathroom.
Boy, just looking at them made me hungry, but I had work to do at home.
I headed back and got to work on the teapot.
Things dried out faster than I expected, but the thing about clay is that you can always add water.
Sort of.
So anyways, I put the thing together:



As you can see, the handle protrudes from the side. As you hold the handle, you put your thumb on little hole on the lid to control the pouring.
This is my first time making this type of teapot and I'm not real happy with it.
Proportionally, there's something wrong going on there, I'm not sure what it is. I also thought the design of the body would look okay, I was wrong.
The spout isn't making me happy and I may end up taking a half inch or so off the end of the handle.
Maybe I just have to get used to it.
I'll finish it up just to see how it pours.
It will also give me a chance to figure out what's going on there.
So with that out of the way, I got to work on the cups that will go with the Industrial Teapot.
They are sort of just miniature versions of the original:



I finished them up and realized that I forgot to add the overlap on the body. It was too late to do anything so I just left them as is.
It bothers me a little but there was no way I was taking off the handles after all that work. I may just put in a crease or something so that at least they look like the larger version.
Here's what they look like together:



Looking at them now, I should have broadened the lip a bit more and hit it with the rasp to create the same hex effect as the teapot lid.
Oh well.
What I'll probably do is glaze the cups before I glaze the teapot, that way I can sort of test out the colors I'm going to use.
The cups should dry out faster than the teapot so I'll fire them sometime this week and glaze them next weekend.
I gotta say, I'm pretty pooped and looking forward to just kicking back and watching me some Law & Order.
Or maybe I'll look through some books to get some ideas for the next project.

1 comment:

dogimo said...

That tea for two set is going to be sweet!