Sunday, August 29, 2010

Weekend Cactus Update!

Latest news from the Cactus Desk!
So I planted these cactus seeds almost two weeks ago.
Some are doing great, some not so great.
In fact, some are not even doing.
Anything, I mean.
I read that these things may take a while so no biggie there. I'm just sort of excited about the ones that sprouted, if you know what I mean.
Anyways, here's the carnegiea gigantea or Saguaro:



They don't really look much like cacti.
Weeds if you ask me.
These are the guys that take like forever to grow, so maybe somewhere along the line they morph into cactus looking thingys.
Expect the next update in oh, 2015.
The trichocereus spachianus started up about a week ago:



When all growed up it's supposed to look like this:



Apparently this brand of cactus is from South America and it's one of those slow growers too.
Luckily, I have other hobbies.
If I knew these were slow growers, I would have tried something else and not tricocereus candicans:



Yes, that looks a lot like the picture from last week, but trust me, there's some hot cactus action going on in there!
The little ones are just hiding under the cinders.
Finally, the neobuxbaumia polylopha are just taking off:



Some of them even have little spikey things on top!
Way cool!
These are my favorite because they're the only ones that actually look like something.
Even if they look like little things from the movie Aliens.
Ripley wasn't hunting this down, but maybe she should have:



I'm not sure what's going on there, and I'm not sure I like it.
Speaking of aliens, the UFT II is in the kiln and firing.
I don't know how it's going to come out, but you, the reader, will be the second to find out.
Of course, I'll be the first for I'm opening the kiln, but you will be second.
I promise.
Stay tuned.

2 comments:

dogimo said...

I love cacti! I didn't realize they grew so slow, but I guess it makes sense. Desert environment and all. Not ripe for explosive growth.

But they look like they should just...sprout up like mold!

limom said...

I sort of knew some of them grew slow, I just didn't think it was like at an evolutionary pace.
In real time.
Maybe the slow growth has like a big pay off.
Like smoked BBQ or a slow strip tease.
Or something.