Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday Final

My legs are back!
Thankfully.
I'm not sure what the hell was wrong with me yesterday for today seemed like business as usual. I took the Barn Door on an abbreviated tour of Kailua and felt pretty good.
Yesterday, my heart rate redlined in less than five minutes, today everything was normal.
I did my usual six mile warm up and stopped off for a Hawaiian energy bar:



I did the loop around Lanikai then headed back to the store to pick up a roasting pan for the Cactus Germinator.
I didn't get to work on it today, for the Unidentified Flying Teapot was on my mind.
I kept thinking about the cracking around the edge so I cut my ride short and headed back to see what I could do.
Here's what the cracks looked like:



Actually, it was one crack that went around the circumference of the body. I think I waited too long to put it together and when I did, I neglected to moisten it up enough. The join area is sort of problematic as you cannot get to the inside part of the join. I had to work only the outer part and hope for the best.
Anyway, I sprayed some water on it and used some wet clay to do the body work.
So far so good.
That's the good news.
Now the not so good news.
Right where I cut the hole for the lid, I developed a humongasoid crack. Clay has memory and if you stress it too much, as it dries it wants to go back to it's original shape. Drying is another thing as if the parts are of a different thickness, well, the thin part dries faster than the thick part and you get more stress.
Here's the crack after I tried to repair it:



I tell you I used all my powers of the Force to try to get that thing to seal up. I don't know if I just tried to dry it too fast, or if the clay is just unwinding or if it's just bad luck. I must have tried to fix it at least four times and the crack just keeps rearing it's ugly head.
I think I'll wait for the pot to completely dry out and try to fix it bone dry. The problem with a crack like this one is that while I may be able to fix it dry, the crack may reappear when it gets fired. I'll try it anyway.
If not, I'll just have to make another one.
I glazed up the cups for the Industrial Teapot.
Took me like two and half hours!
For two cups!
Boy, I don't want to do that again.
The glazes I'm using are sort of new; they've been reformulated to be non toxic so I don't quite know how it will come out.
Not really a good choice of pieces to test them out on.
Time to pray to the kiln gods.

No comments: