Sunday, August 15, 2010

Out of This World

Which is how I felt yesterday when I went out on my ride.
I was feeling sort of funky, but it was such a nice day I went out anyway.
Not a good move on my part for at five miles out, I felt that evil DILBPS coming on.
Sure enough at six miles, I was toast.
I limped back home to work on that, uh, thing I was doing.
Yesterday, I got as far as this:



To be honest, I had no idea where this was going.
I let it sit for the night and awoke with some new ideas.
Using the Industrial Klay Extruder Gun(IKEG), I made some coils:



I wanted the lid to be offset, not in the usual place like top dead center.
So with X-acto in hand, I did some surgery:



This was the first hole I cut into the body. The idea is that in this type of form, with the base I made, I wanted the air inside to hold up the clay until it had a chance to stiffen.
If I hadn't left it closed, there is a good chance the base area would have collapsed.
I then "fabricated" a lid.
Using the coils, I added the required foo-foos around the outer edge of the body:



You can sort of see where this is going.
I had already made the handle, I just needed it to stiffen up a bit before attaching.
I added a brace to hold it up:



I'll bisque fire with the brace on then remove it later so the handle is free standing.
The foo-foo was strong in me today, but I sort of held off adding anything else.
For now.
The top and bottom of the body was beginning to separate in some areas but I'm not worried.
Clay is like bondo, don't you know.
I'm not too happy with the way the lid turned out so I may do something different later.
Other than that, I thought my goofy Unidentified Flying Teapot came out okay.



I wanted to do something playful, something that I could use some primary colors on as the Industrial Teapot is going, well, industrial.
I gotta hit the road and figure out how I'm going to do the Cactus Germinator(CacGerm). I also have to glaze them Industrial cups.
I'm taking it easy today after what happened yesterday, so the Barn Door gets a workout.
Hopefully, I won't get light headed and start feeling like a space cadet.
Anymore than usual, I mean.

No comments: