Sunday, August 1, 2010

Limiting Factors, Design Problems

I messed up.
I don't know why, but it never occurred to me to measure in the inside of my kiln to see what sort of design limitations I have.
If it can't fit in the kiln, I can't fire it.
Here's the teapot with spout attached:



At this point, I'm not real happy with how it's turning out.
I don't like the lid and I think it's starting to look like a circa seventies coffee pot.
I didn't like the lid from the start. In fact that is the second one I made, the first was, well, I don't know what I was thinking when I made the first one.
I may do another lid later.
Sometimes these things happen.
Especially if you just go in blind.
It's good to start from a sketch and not just make stuff up as you go along.
That's when you get things like coffee pots.
I think I have images in my mind that subconsciously surface when I make stuff.
Once I made what I thought was a really nice vase until I stepped back to look at it and realized I had made a table lamp.
On the other hand, so many forms and shapes have already been done, it's difficult not to make similar shapes.
It's too late to make significant changes now, for the clay has set up and is pretty stiff. If I try to abstract or bend things and shape things, the clay is susceptible to cracking.
I did some coils to make the handle:



For the handle, I had the idea to wrap a coil around the top and drop the handle down to match the angle of the spout:



This handle design happened for I realized that I was approaching the limits of height in my kiln.
Originally, I wanted to put the handle on top, but as it stands, I have only an inch or two of clearance left.
By putting the handle on the side, I'm now approaching the width restrictions in the kiln too.
If I make another lid, a flatter one, I open up more space and options for the handle.
I may do this for as I said, I'm not digging what's happening so far.
Or I can go with what I got and add some foo-foo stuff to the pot itself to detract from the what I consider flaws in the design.
I can still use the glaze to break up the shape.
What to do.
I'll go ride my bike and think about it.
Maybe something will come to me.

No comments: