Sunday, August 8, 2010

Success! Tea for Two

The Industrial Teapot made it!
Well, there was one little S crack in the bottom, but it didn't go all the way through so it's okay.
Sort of.
Anyways, I inspected all the places I thought would be problem areas and it looks okay.
Now comes the hard part.
Glazing.
I may not even get to it today.
What I did do was make a couple of matching cups/mugs:



I'll give them the same treatment I gave the teapot, with some new twists.
I also wanted to do a more traditional type teapot. One that is meant for only one or two cups. I looked through some books I have and came up with this:



Okay, as you can see, those are just the parts, the handle, spout, body, and lid.
Like the Industrial one, I have to let the clay set up some before I begin to assemble.
I was reading an article on why spouts drip; if you have used hand made teapots before, you know this is a problem.
Potters struggle to make a teapot that doesn't drip.
And struggle, and struggle.
I've never made one yet that didn't dribble at least just a little down the spout.
So apparently, there are some basic rules to follow that have to do with physics(!) and water tension.
Or something.
Anyways, as I made the pieces, I started to worry that I was not going to be able to follow the recommended dimensions.
I guess we'll just have to see how it all turns out.
Okay, time to hit the road!
I'll put the whole thing together when I get back.

No comments: