Saturday, March 17, 2012

Into the Vally(The Conscious Part)

This is part II, part one is below.
Below this I mean.


Well the free bicycle to be raffled off wasn't going to be free exactly, the kids actually had to do some work.
Every third Saturday of the month is like a community day up at Ho'oulu Aina and folks are encouraged to go up the valley and volunteer some time working the land.
The Ho'oulu Aina folks are trying to recover the land from invasive plants and they are also growing stuff, stuff that is distributed into the community after harvest.
Sort of going back to the olden days style of living off the land.
There are gardens where folks can work:



Or if you feel up to it, areas that need to be cleared and reforested with native species:





There are a bunch of hard working volunteers that help folks out showing them how to do things like clear land and mix soil.
There is a small nursery where they raise starter plants that they transplant into the ground.
Kvibe brought up a lot of folks:



All of them were working hard and it looked like they got a lot done.
Chapeau!
Et moi?
Although I felt okay, the couch was calling me and I decided to call it a day.
I was still a bit light headed and I still needed to ride back to my car.
Thankfully it was all downhill.
Still, I was sort of sad to go.
All them nursing students don't you know.
I'll be going back up there again with school though, and next time I'll try to get my hands dirty!
Maybe.

3 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

Looks like a lot of good work being done......

-Trevor

Steve A said...

Cool change of pace!

limom said...

Trevor, it's a lot of work, but there's so much more that needs to be done.

Steve A, I'm tricky like that.