Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday Early Edition

Success!
I think.
I hope.
More on this later.
So I've been working on this Konica S1.6 camera for the last couple of days:

















A long eyeball straining last couple of days.
Camera parts are very tiny.
So I finally got everything back together and had a chance to adjust the rangefinder and do a test:
















If you squint yer eyeballs you can see the sign is bit soft while the clock is sharp.
Not good.
So I'm looking around in there, you know, the camera, and I see some screws that could be like an adjustment thingy.
Hmmmm...
What the hell! no guts no glory so I start a turning and a adjusting.
Wait.
Lemme do a internetz search here.
You know, after I start fooling around in there.
My modus operandi don't you know.
Not good.
Seems that's not the rangefinder adjustment screw thingy!
The rangefinder adjustment screw thingy is this thingy over here.
So just what is this other thingy?
Close adjustment?
Maybe.
I hope it is cause that's what I used it for:

















Okay!
Now the sign is sharp and the clock is soft.
The thing is I'm not sure despite the results I was fiddling with the right doohicky.
It was like adjusting a carburetor, remember them things? you gotta go back and forth between the air any fuel?
So here I am adjusting close and far, going back and forth like ten times, until I finally get both to match up reasonably close.
Here's the far test:

















I think I got it unless the camera jiggles itself out of alignment.
Which it just might do considering I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
If you know what I mean.
So I was all happy with the tests so I went out at like ten last night to celebrate:

























While I was at the slush place I took a few more shots just to make sure the camera was doing what it was supposed to be doing:



















Looks like it all checks out!
This camera has an online reputation for being soft at F1.6 so I suppose the results are pretty good.
Which is a good thing since today I'm going to try some of this:

















That's right ripe banana fans!
Yellow film!
Okay, not really.
It's black and white but it's old cinema stock that's supposed to be extra fine and contrasty.
The ISO is a whopping 6!
That's right slow shutter speed fans!
6!
This should be interesting.
Stay tuned.

No comments: