Thursday, November 19, 2009

le Connaisseur de la Musique

No lists here dude. No top ten or top five or catagories that differentiate styles of music.
Here it is:
I have decided that the The Greatest Album of All Time(GAOAT) is Aja, from the greatest band of all time Steely Dan.
This is not up to interpretation or discussion.
It just is.
How this was determined does not matter, nor should you, the reader, question the choice.
I am an audiofilet don't you know.
Besides, I have listened to every musical recording known to man(EMRKTM).
Okay, not really, but gee, that sounded pretty freakin impressive didn't it?
I mean to have listened to every recording known to man means I must be pretty old or just a bold faced liar.
I'd be lying to you, the reader, if I said I wasn't old, then again it would be a lie to say that I wasn't lying, if you get my drift. Nevermind.
I decided that Aja was the GAOAT because I own four copies of it.
One remastered CD, one MFSL(Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs or MoFi) gold CD, one album pressed in gold vinyl, and one MFSL album:



To those not familiar with Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, the recordings are remastered from the original analog tapes and to my ears tend to sound a bit brighter or "hotter." Hotter meaning the recording levels are higher so they play a little louder.
MoFi is definately audiofilet stuff.
Now I have lots of albums in my collection that are duplicated in my CD collection.
In no other instance though, do I have four of any thing.
I do have three copies of The Eagles Greatest Hits but they are all pretty much worn out and I also have three copies of George Benson's Breezin, why, I have no idea.
Aja, the Greatest Album of All Time, was Steely Dan's sixth album, in between The Royal Scam and Gaucho and for this listener, represented a departure from their usual sound. They already had success with hits like Do It Again and Rikki Don't Lose That Number and The Royal Scam had produced a small hit in Kid Charlemagne.
Aja, the Greatest Album of All Time though, was a product of the last two remaining band members Walter Becker and Donald Fagen who used studio musicians throughout the recording.
Notice, I don't mention Two Against Nature or Everything Must Go. I consider those recordings After The Original Seven Era(ATOSE).
Containing a smoother jazzy sound with female backing vocals, Aja, the Greatest Album of All Time, began a new trend(some would argue that the trend began with Katy Lied) that continued with Gaucho.
Peg, Josie and Deacon Blues were three tracks that received air time while the rest of the glorious album went mostly unnoticed. After many listens, I've come to conclude that the title track is the true gem of the album, while Deacon Blues is the sentimental favorite.
I won't bore you with any more details about Aja, this Greatest Album Of All Time, though there is nothing boring about it. All I can say is that if you do not own this album, your music collection is seriously deficient.
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Aja is the Greatest Album of All Time.
Since I have four copies, it would seem my collection is The Greatest Music Collection of All Time(GMCOAT).
I am an audiofilet, don't you know.

Next on le Connaisseur de la Musique:
Why Bob James' Touchdown is the Greatest Album of All Time(GAOAT).

Editor's note: The opinions and sentiments expressed by le Connaisseur de la Musique in no way, shape or form represents the sentiments or opinions of The Flat Tire.

No comments: