Sunday, November 15, 2009

Thar She Blows! pt.II

No, another tire didn't blow up in my livingroom.
And yeah, it was windy today.
Windy enough for me question myself on why I was out there riding around when I could have been home watching Law & Order or something.
But that's not what this is about.
My legs were pretty much toast as I headed on home. I was moving so slow down the Hamakua Wind Tunnel that I stopped at a place I usually just pass by:



Glass blowing!
Island Glass Works is nestled in a small corner on Hamakua Drive near the intersection at Hahani Street.
As I said, I usually just zip on by as I'm dialing up the wattage fighting the gale force winds blowing down the street. Today, the roll gate was up and I could see the glow of the glory hole.
Now let me just stop right here for a second while the snickering abates.
Why they call it a glory hole is beyond me. In fact, there are some things I just don't want to know.
So anyways, I went in and asked if I could take some pictures.
Emily, Dan, and Rod were busy doing their magic:







Glass blowing is pretty cool stuff. Since the glass studio at the University of Hawaii was right next to the ceramics studio, I had ample opportunity to watch the glass students work. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to take a class.
Emily in fact looked a little familiar, and we found out we were both at UH around the same time.
The thing about glass blowing is that you need a good partner:





As you can see, it sometimes takes three hands.
The studio is run by Geoff Lee:



I've known him only by his work, which I had seen around town. He wasn't in today; maybe next time I stop by, I'll get the chance to meet him.
Anyway, there's more info about Island Glass Works on the website. Art is not only about the final product; it's also about the process and this is a good place to see how it's done.
Check them out.
I'm sure they'll be happy to let you watch.
Oh, while the wind was a drag(literally) for me, it seems Kailua Beach was the place to be today.
For kite surfers:

No comments: