Monday, November 30, 2009

Rippin'

It was raining today so I was not rippin' on my bike.
No really, it was. Raining I mean.



No, it doesn't look like it, but that is really rain falling onto water collecting on the asphalt.
Four thousand miles seems many, many, well, miles away.
Anyway, I came home and decided to resume the Great Rippin' Project(GRP). Since I got my new player, I've been slow to load it up since I have to rip all my music again.
I was thinking about the word rip and how it pertained to what I was doing. Where did it come from? Since I do dabble in etymology, I looked it up.
From what I gather from the Jargon Files, rip came from Amiga computer hackers who would appropriate gaming music.
The Jargon Files Glossary is here.
Pretty cool look into a world I know nothing of.
Well, as I said, my intention was come home and start loading music onto my new Sony Walkman:



This is replacing a second generation Iriver Clix that I had for a couple of years. Actually, I was looking for the least expensive eight gig player I could find.
See, when you are flying down the road at a GAGILLION miles per hour, a crash could be catastrophic to you and your player.
I am also very poor.
So anyways, I have to go through my whole CD collection for I deleted all the music files on my computer.
This is no simple task.
There are eight rows of CDs and they all pretty much look like this:



If you look real good, you can see that I'm up to the Cs; the last thing I ripped was off of The Clash's London Calling album. You can't really see it cause the art is all faded but it's there, nestled between The Cocteau Twins and Cinderella.
Oh, and I don't download music off the nets; I talked a little about that here.
So anyways, the GRP(Great Rippin' Project) is going to take me like until the end of time.
At the rate I'm going anyways.
I mean it's taking a lot longer than I expected.
A lot longer.
Most of it is because of the Do I, Don't I(DIDI) syndrome. Do I want to put that on? Or don't I?
Did I or Didn't I(DIDI) put Cinderella on my player? Well, I did see them in concert and they were pretty cool. I'm still thinking about that one.
In fact, there's some music there where I sort of have to wonder where it came from.
Like Wilson Phillips. Or the Armageddon Dildos. No, I am not making that up:



The good thing is that I'm being reintroduced to music I haven't listened to for a long time.
It's just that there's a lot of it. Stuff I haven't listened to I mean.
I guess I shouldn't worry cause I got like eight gigs of space(actually 5.9 right now) and I don't think I can use it all up.
The thing is, DIDI want to hear this or that particular song while out ripping(get it? get it? ripping? Nevermind.) up the asphalt going a GAGILLION miles per hour on my bike.
Actually, I Don't(ID) think it matters for at that speed the wind noise is so horrific I can't really hear the music anyways.
Yet I persevere.
I must for listening to the first one ninth(approx.) of my music collection is pretty boring.
Wait. I actually cheated and put on some Zero 7 for some flavor. I was weak.
So anyways, if you don't hear from me for a while, it's because I'm sitting here, loading CDs into my computer, making the difficult decisions on what to rip or what not to rip(DIDI), and syncing it onto my new player.
Syncing. There's a word for the Jargon Files.
I even turn off the T.V. so I can rip in peace.
Okay, not really.
About turning off the T.V. I mean.

No comments: