Friday, May 28, 2010

Damned If You Do, Well, You Know the Rest

Today was clean the chain day.
I'll get back to that later.
Off I went this morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to take a nice long ride around, well, around here.
Anyways, I'm riding around, having a grand ole time, keeping that cadence up and all that, when about half way through the ride, man oh man I just start fading.
This happens from time to time, the fading part.
Sometimes, I don't warm up too good and expend too much energy in first half of my ride so that when I roll around to go home, I'm dragging my you know what.
I know I shouldn't have, but I checked the evil computer.
Obviously a wrong move.
I was forced to summom all my massive wattage to keep my cadence falling below seventy.
I mean I was just out riding around, but you know, that evil computer, it makes you do things.
I began to push hard. I mean damn the heart rate, don't let that cadence fall!
Now somewhere along the line, I wondered if hey! is my tire flat?
I mean it was getting real hard to pedal.
Like I said I was pushing real hard, but I wasn't really going anywhere.
If you know what I mean.
I look down and all is fine.
I struggle on home.
So like I said today was clean the chain day.
I clean the chain, and as I'm taking off my rear tire, that's right!
It was going flat.
An almost, not quite flat tire.
Now at this point, I'm feeling relieved. Relieved for I understand that I'm not getting slower, my bike is!
I gotta tell you, this has happened to me like four or five times in the past, so I should know to check the tire pressure.
Or should I?
I mean what if I'm really struggling on the bike, check the tire only to find that it's okay. I've done that before.
I can't begin to tell you how demoralizing that is.
I mean you are going really slow thinking that your tire is flat and it's not so it can only mean that, well, you are flat.
Then if you don't check the tire, for the rest of the ride, you are thinking about how freakin weak you are.
Should I trust the tire to be the bearer of bad or good news?
I mean really, should I leave it up to the tire to break or make my day?
You are sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I'm beginning to think that tires are a bit evil.
Know what I mean?
They just sit there on the rim all benign looking but secretly they are plotting against me.
I'll have to keep an eye on them.
Anyways, I'd rather have a real flat tire than one of them half flat tires any day. With an all the way flat tire, at least you know where you stand.
Not like them ambiguous flat tires.
Posers.
I'm telling you, I'm getting some new tires.
Soon.

No comments: