Saturday, December 21, 2013


That's right baby!
I Am Awesome!
It's that time of the year again:

The making of the bamboo thingys.
It's one of those things where you don't really want to do it, but once you start it's sort of okay.
Kind of like pushing the bicycle out the door.
Anyways it seems like we're not as busy as last year,  I didn't ask for a count but I think we're not making as many as before.
Which is a good thing.
I suppose.
For the bamboo.
Then like clockwork this appeared in the mail:

I don't know why but it seems like one appears in my mailbox every week!
Some secret Santa maybe.
So this Konica S2 appears and I'm like all happy!
Then I check it out and the rangefinder is broken.
I'm all sad.
I can hear some stuff a rattling around in there.
The camera I mean.
So like some out of control fanatic who is hell bent on owning every camera ever made I promptly order me another one.
You know, one that works.
Still, I'm thinking about this broken thing.
Seems I read somewhere prior to purchase that these here Konicas have a history of loose mirrors and folks just glue em back on.
Also known as the Home Fixit Channel (HFC) cause if you can't learn how to fix it on YouTube it probably wasn't invented.
Well I didn't get to the HFC cause I found some pictures someplace else and I managed to get the top cover of the disabled camera off:

Did I mention this was bothering me at one o'clock in the morning?
Evil camera was keeping me awake!
Anyways, I got the top cover off but I need to remove one more cover to get to the rangefinder part:

You can see the offending rattling thingy winking back at me.
Interestingly that's not where that little mirror is supposed to be:

It's supposed to be behind the other mirror thingy with a window on that round thingy with the adjustment screw.
So since now it's like two o'clock in the morning and I really don't want to go to the all night place to buy some glue I'm sort of stuck.
Or am I?
I got glue!
In the car I got one of my tool boxes with some epoxy I haven't used in like two years!
Is it still good?
Hope so!
On with the mirror with the help of some tweezers:

The little mirror thingy was beveled on one side and I couldn't figure out which side to glue so I just took a chance and glued it bevel side up.
I think.
I mean it was sort of late.
That set screw is used to adjust the ghost image vertically.
Now looking at how the rangefinder/viewfinder is set up I still don't know what the hell is going on:

I suppose it has something to do with the distance between the two windows in front of the camera and using that distance via mirrors to calculate vertical distance in front of the camera.
Very tricky stuff.
Anyways the rangefinder works!
I am awesome, I am awesome!
Yes I am!
Yes I am!
C'mon! sing along with me!
You, the reader, would sing:
You are awesome!
You are awesome!
Yes you are!
Yes you are!
Fix the camera rangefinder,
Put back on the top cover,
All is good.
All is good.

Except the meter is inop so I'm a opening her up again to see if there are any loose wires.
Electronics and I don't get along very well.
Then again, I am awesome.

No comments: