Friday, July 9, 2010

The Beautiful Side

I've been busy the last few days.
I've also been really fatigued.
I'm not sure, but I think the change in my schedule has something to do with it.
When I say tired, I mean really tired.
Don't want to do nothing but sit on the couch tired.
Maybe I just needed a few days of doing nothing.
Well anyways, I went to the hobby place and got me some paint:



You can't tell from the image but that's metal flake blue and red.
The paint is translucent so it will look green or orange on the frame.
I still want to put something on the toptube of Yellow Gary.
I know I been calling it the Lanikai Express, but that moniker is not written in stone.
Or on the top tube.
Yet.
I've also been trying to get some pottery out.
I figure if I make all I can now, I'll have some stuff to work on when school starts up.
I also need to finish up my cactus planters seeing as how I purchased four more of the pokey things today.
I'll take some pictures of the cactus army when I'm done.
So anyways, I was heading off to dialysis this afternoon and it was such a nice day, I decided to play tourist and stop off at one of the look outs on the way to town.
They call the windward side of the island "the beautiful side" for good reason:



This was taken at the top of the Pali Highway, town bound. Orientation is pretty much to the East.
Kailua is a pretty small place.
Off to the North would be Kaneohe, and beyond that the North Shore.
You can't really see where I am, for I am beyond some hills:



It's been a dry summer so I was surprised how green everything still is.
All the geographic features here are volcanic. The area I live in was probably a collapsed crater; in fact most of the windward side sheared off into the ocean back in the olden days creating what you see now.
Here's the stretch of coast I ride:



I'll try to get some pics of Kaneohe and Kaneohe Bay next week or so. I can't think of any good vantage points other than a couple off of the highway, so I will have to drive.
That is unless I can find the trails supposedly up on the hills.
The interesting thing about living on an island is the diverse geography. I mean just the difference between the leeward and windward sides of the island can be quite drastic, though if you live here, you don't think about it too much.
I for one, am glad I live on the beautiful side.

No comments: