Friday, July 2, 2010

WTF or Not!

Hello and welcome to the first installment of Watch This Film, or Not!
Once or twice a month, we shall be looking at films that didn't do too well at the box office but somehow managed to gain popularity via other venues.
Yes, we are going to be watching and reviewing "cult" movies!
First of all, what defines a cult movie?
I'm really not sure myself, but I'll just go with "a movie that develops a following."
We can explore that later.
Tonight, we'll take a look at this cult favorite I watched last night:



Perhaps one premise of any good cult film is that the plot has to be so bizarre that it could not possibly happen in the real world.
Well Buckaroo fits that bill!
Buckaroo Banzai is brain surgeon/rock star/inventor who inadvertently unleashes aliens bent on destroying Earth.
Nuff said.
Oh and there was something in there that reminded me of a flux capacitor.
What drew me back to this movie was the cast: Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Ellen Barkin(really young version),Christopher Lloyd, and Jeff Goldblum.
There are also some other actors in there you may/may not recognize for this film was shot in 1984.
Which is about when I saw it first.
Let me just say that I don't remember too much about the first couple of times I saw this movie. I just remember that I saw it.
In fact after watching it last night, it's pretty safe to say that I didn't remember any of it.
Now I know why.
It just didn't live up to it's cult status hype.
Watching John Lithgow as a raving lunatic is always fun, and Jeff Goldblum is, well, Jeff Goldblum.
The plot at times seems to drag. I was expecting tons of action and adventure so I was a bit let down. There are some interesting sight gags and dialog references; I won't spoil them here.
Maybe Buckaroo is one of those films you have to watch over and over to get everything, I don't know.
I'm not even sure I want to watch it again.
Then again, this is coming from someone who didn't like Rocky Horror.
The movie is interesting enough just because of the actors that are in it. It's always fun to see them early in their careers when they weren't being type cast, although I read that Christopher Lloyd's part was written for him.
Speaking of Lloyd, there just isn't enough of him.
I'll leave it at that.
It's interesting to note that at the end of movie, it promises a sequel.
Remember Remo Williams?
I read that the script for the sequel was redone into Big Trouble in Little China!
I liked that film!
I'll give Buckaroo five flats out of ten.
It wasn't bad enough to be truly campy, and it wasn't good enough for me to remember anything in it.
Well, I sort of liked Perfect Tommy.
The rest was just so-so.

Next on WTF or Not!:
Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

No comments: