Saturday, October 9, 2010

In the Gallery

Cool song by Dire Straits off of their debut album.
I remember Peter Frampton came here for a concert and they interviewed him on the radio. He said that one of his favorite songs was the Sultans of Swing so of course I had to rush out and get that album.
If Dire Straits is your thing, I apologize for that's not what this is all about.
Today, I had to do my thing and sit the Hawaii Craftsmen Exhibit for three and half hours.
It went pretty well, there were folks going in and out, enough so that I was never sitting there alone.
Answered some questions, talked a little wood and clay and overall had a nice time.
Oh, and I did take some pictures.
Except that they are for my personal use only.
When I want to use those pictures for my personal use, I go here.
All works are ceramics except where noted.
The images don't do justice to the size and scale of some of the pieces, also the color may be slightly off for I forgot to reset my camera.
Really cool stuff though.
Some of the wood stuff was really really awesome. The detail work on a couple of wood bowls was amazing.
There were also a couple of other things I just couldn't get good images of so I didn't bother. I'll take the real camera next time.
I also got another bonus:



40w Tea also got a recognition award from the State Foundation on Culture and Arts which if I think it means what I think it means, the Industrial Teapot won't be coming back home with me.
It will call some dusty shelf within the confines of the State Art Museum home.
When I looked at it sitting there, in it's little corner, I sort of felt a twinge of sadness.
I guess I'm not quite ready to let that one go. Honestly, that's why I priced it on the high side, I didn't think anyone would step up to the plate.
Well if the State did purchase it, maybe they'll at least let me visit.
This is one of those cases where I'm not sure whether I'm happy or sad that it sold.
I guess I was a bit more attached to it than I thought.
So anyways, there you go.
In just a little over a week past two months, we've seen the Industrial Teapot from creation, to submitting, to selection, to exhibit, to award winner.
It doesn't happen like this all the time, trust me.
Not everything I make rocks the ceramic world, though I do try to make some waves.
This was something of a fluke, I didn't expect this kind of recognition.
Well this is it for this year show wise.
I still got a couple of ideas for the UFTs, and maybe a cycling related teapot.
Next year, right around spring break, I wind it up and start this madness all over again. The next submission deadline is April 1st.
That would be the Artists of Hawaii show.
I've been rejected three times.

No comments: