Saturday, October 2, 2010

MTB Mugs

Sort of.
I mean kinda sorta.
Well, I'll let you be the judge.
So anyways, I had some ideas about some different designs I wanted to put on the mugs.
I make the usual handles with the IKEG, which helps me make some round coils. Well I also got this thingy that makes small little coils:



So I had this idea to create a textured surface by adding the small coils to the large ones. I then made small cuts in the small coils and bent them into a round shape:



Can you see where I'm going with this?
I tried out a couple of different designs, settling on three small round coils in the middle of two flat coils on the sides.
That's right!
MTB tire handles!
Except they look more like motorcycle or maybe Pugsly tires:



I was looking at them and looking at them, trying to figure out what was wrong with the proportions.
Too wide?
Too small?
The mugs I made were drying up so I said whatevers and went ahead and stuck them on:



Now they look like tires that come off a Willys Jeep.
Too late to worry about that now.
So I had that 52 chain ring I wanted to use to change up the design:



I also did some with a chain design on the side by halving the links:





Not super happy with what I did today though I do see some potential there. I just need to match some of the stuff up better and figure out the tires.
Sometimes it goes like this, you keep trying stuff until suddenly you get the right combination.
Sort of like how it took me two versions of the UFT before I got something I liked.
In this case, maybe once they are glazed they'll look better.
If not, I guess I got more mugs to give away.
Maybe.

3 comments:

Andrew Cooper said...

Much classier than the original versions! A more robust handle as well.

Rat Trap Press said...

That looks incredible! The chainring and links on the body of the mug were a good idea.

limom said...

AC, thanks! I sort of like the outside design too. Allows me to go all creative and artsy fartsy on it.
The handles were a concern and while the MTB/motocross handles are stronger, they aren't quite doing it for me.
Yet.
RTP, thanks too! Me likey the chain ring also.
I think that making the mug taller will help it stand out.

I'm going to try and work on the handles again today, to get them up to snuff.