Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sea Change

I went out this morning and hit the road.
Finally!
I decided to go for a ride since the stuff in the kiln was still sort of on the warm side.
Here's my personal anemometer:



I check the water to see how strong the wind is blowing.
Today: not too bad.
White chop: pain and suffering.
I took the Barn Door out instead of the Mean Machine for I was still feeling sort of funky from last night.
I don't like my new dialysis schedule. I'm always feeling out of whack.
So anyways, I did my usual warm up and stopped off for a Hawaiian energy bar and Hawaiian sports drink:



Then off I headed towards the beach and Lanikai.
I sort of took it easy today, like I said, I wasn't feeling optimus prime. I tell you though, since I hardly ride the Barn Door, I can really feel the extra weight.
Oh wait! That's why I call it a Barn Door!
Lanikai Launching Pad(boat ramp):



You can see it's in need of some repair. The Lanikai ramp has to be the most comical one on the island. There's a special technique you need to use when launching your boat from here involving a long chain or rope and heavy acceleration.
It's an art form.
I'll make it out one weekend and get video.
Some folks there were taking advantage of the light:



I liked what the woman was doing:




Her use of color I thought was great!
Not like the stuff I usually see.
I did the loop around Lanikai and on the way back I stopped here:



When I got back close to The Flat Tire Central, I noticed my anemometer was different:



You can sort of see it here, the color of the water had changed to a light blue/grey and there was an area where you could see the difference.
Back at the park, the ocean water was breaking over the sand into the stream, but I didn't think too much of it.
I believe the change in water color reflects a change in salinity as ocean water moves inland.
My glasses are polarized so I can see it, unfortunately the glare sort of hides it.
Trust me, the change was quite dramatic.



Just a part of the cycle of life I guess.
Get it?
Cycle?
Nevermind.

5 comments:

Rat Trap Press said...

What a beautiful, relaxing place to ride. I bet you never get tired of the view.

Oldfool said...

You make me homesick for Hawaii. My bride SWMBO and I were last there in April 1984. We docked at the Kanehoe Yacht Club for a week preparing to leave for Nawiliwili, Hanalei and ultimately the really big island of North America. She used to live somewhere around there.
Now we can only be there in our memories.

limom said...

RTP, it's the opposite. It's very easy to forget about the beauty of the island. Biking helps to remind me just how special living here is. It really has made me look at things differently.
OF, 1984 memories are good! My father lives not far from KYC, I pass by there once in a while when I ride to his house. I visited Kauai in the early eighties(specifically Hanalei) and haven't been back since. I'm afraid of what I might find.
I suspect though that progress hasn't hit Kauai as hard as it has here.
Sappy as it might sound, I still think of "Hanalei By Moonlight."
Good memories for sure.

John Romeo Alpha said...

Painting on the beach looks lovely, but wouldn't it get sandy? I like those colors, too.

limom said...

I hadn't thought of that. The wind here is almost always onshore too!
I think the sand here is sort of on the coarse side. Not like a couple of miles south in Waimanalo where the sand is so fine it gets into everything.
Speaking of that, I wonder why that is?
The difference in sand I mean.
I must collect samples and compare.