Sunday, October 3, 2010

Mug Variations, Tractor Tires

So last night I was thinking about them tires and how goofy they looked.
Yesterday, I tried making them smaller, but then they looked like the tires off of a Model T.
So today, I thought I'd try a different tread pattern.
I used the same number of coils on the large coil as yesterday, but I cut the smaller coils so that the pattern would be directional:



Smoothing out the outer knobbie section to the side of the tire/handle:



Then you use a little wrist action and form the handle:



Whoops! A little too much wrist!
Twenty minutes of work just went south.
That's okay, it's only clay.
The good news is the next set of UFT's are going to have some funky looking wheels!
The rim section is actually three strips joined together:




That's one strip in the middle and one on each side.
The strips are then smoothed out to make it look like one piece.
Hopefully all goes well and it's attached to a mug:



A little better than yesterday, but still looking like it's off a Works Honda or an old tractor.
Or something.
I did some different decorations:



We'll see how they come out after they are glazed.
Which I'm not looking forward to doing.
I just know they are going to take like forever.
It took me about half the day to put together four mugs. I'm telling you, these puppies aren't easy to make.
I did manage to do something I usually do:



I was going to make one more mug but I wasn't feeling the love so I went and made something I like making.
A reward if you will.
For my meticulous work.
I'll fire these up tomorrow and start glazing on Tuesday.
I should have some hopefully spectacular results on Wednesday.
Should.

6 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

The proportions of the wheel handle are different enough from those 29er hoops you are accustomed to gazing at, I guess they end up reading like a different kind of wheel. I'd like to see an Oury grip for a mug handle, if possible, on a right angled handlebar pointing down, unattached at the bottom. Or maybe some other sort of handelbar handle.

limom said...

The problem with one attachment point is that it makes the handle very fragile.
Unless the attachment point was very large, but then you end up taking up space.
I have been thinking about it though, maybe using a bar end as the attachment point.
I made a T handle mug once that I thought was the bee's knees, but again problematic with the fragility.
Maybe an Oury type grip with a T handle? Thick enough not to worry about.
Or maybe a T handle that looks like a MTB handle bar with a stem as the attachment point.
I dunno.
The next thing I'm working on is a drop bar handle.
Or someking of roadie thingy.

limom said...

Gee, looking at the pics it seems I forgot to add the spoke holes.
Oh my!

John Romeo Alpha said...

I did think of a drop bar handle where the ends attach to the mug and you kind of grab the middle of the bar. But you seemed to be on a mtn bike tear so I didn't want to break the flow. Hey how about a disk brake handle? Maybe the radius of that wouldn't be so visually misleading.

limom said...

A disc brake handle would be neat with the caliper maybe as the attachment point.
Today I was looking at some pictures and a commuter mug came to mind.
A wheel with fender.
And maybe a rack.

Anonymous said...

I really like your site. Will keep checking back here.

Tires For Sale