Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rockin' Down the Highway

Boy, I miss the Doobie Brothers.
Besides their regular stuff like "China Grove" and "Black Water," there's a song on the album What Were Once Vices are Now Habits called "Another Park, Another Sunday" which I can listen to over and over and over again.
In fact, I may just listen to it right now.
I would say more but that's not what this is all about.
So today, I went ahead and finished up glazing the rest of them mugs. In order to glaze up the bottoms, I have to put them on stilts which are made up of special high heat wire, nickel chromium I think, so that the glazed surface doesn't touch the kiln shelf. If it did, it would fuse onto the shelf and well, that's not good.
So all the mugs now have to be stilted:



I took a break and took a short trip into Kaneohe to visit a fellow ceramic person. Yes, I went over to boast and brag about my new fame and glory.
Okay, not really.
Kyle is the person I used to watch when I first started wheel throwing. I learned by watching him and some others, so you might say I am what I am because of him.
No bragging around those parts as he could still probably out do me on the wheel.
Throw rings around me, so to speak.
It's nice to have a fellow potter to talk to and throw ideas at. That's one thing I miss about working in a studio with other folks, exchange of ideas.
So anyways, I spent a couple of hours over there, talking about ceramics, fishing and bunch of other stuff, but that's not what this is about either.
It's about this:



As I was headed down the hill towards The Flat Tire Central, I started to see flashing red lights up ahead of me. Then cars peeling over from the right lane into the left.
In the image above, you can see why.
Now the speed limit on this hill is forty five, but most cars are moving faster than the posted rate.
I suppose it's part gravity.
No problem, on dude on a bike, though he should be in the shoulder.
Right?
Maybe not, for the shoulder is littered with rocks.
Wait!



There are two of them!
On recumbents!
Taking the lane.
Sort of.
These guys were booking! At least going forty by my speedo.
Okay, except they were all over the place.
At times almost riding side by side:



Now I see folks on bikes bombing down this section of road all the time. Most on road bikes, doing a loop and coming back into Kailua. I've never seen someone try to take the lane. Most folks stay on the shoulder.
This is a highway. Forty five mile per hour speed limit.
At first I didn't really think anything. I mean they have a right to the road too, right?
Well, car folks couldn't pass them, for cars in the left lane were like blazing down the hill and there was no opening to change lanes. Instead we followed them to the bottom of the hill, where the recumbent dudes finally pulled off the side and one guy started to wave his arm as if to tell the car folks it was okay to pass.
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing.
I'm usually sympathetic towards other cyclists, but in this case I sort of have to wonder: was this the prudent thing to be doing?
I mean I wouldn't.
Not when I got the whole shoulder to myself, rocks and all.
I sort of wondered about the high speed stability of them contraptions, maybe it was safer for them in the road.
All I know is, there were two dudes on recumbents rocking down the highway probably headed to the park on a Sunday.
The Doobie Brothers.
Oh yeah.

No comments: