Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday Final

Sunday.
The sun is shining, the University of Hawaii upsets then number 19 Nevada, it's a great day.
Goofy mug glazes don't count.
Off I went to enjoy the day!
The Gary Fisher Lanikai Express was my ride of choice for the Barn Door, bless it's heart has been stripped down for sale.
Well not exactly stripped down. I just removed the computer, a bottle holder and the front basket.
So anyways, I hit the road with no real destination planned.
Since I was on the Lanikai Express, I decided to go into well, Lanikai.
Lanikai proper is located on a one way loop that starts and stops near Kailua Beach Park. The end of the loop, the turn around, used to be a private street. Every once in a while, we'd get chased out of there for using a short cut to the beach.
Now, there is no longer a street, just this:



What that is and who lives there I have no clue. At this point, your guess would be as good as mine.
Once you make the turn around, you are a house lot away from the beach, Lanikai.
World famous Lanikai Beach.
The only way to access said beach is through public right of ways that are in between private beach front lots:



The stretch is only about a mile and half long, but it's a very nice mile and half.
Some would say the best mile and half on the island.
There are five or six of these public access lanes, each one a little different.
The view is about the same:



A closer look reveals some folks spending their day way out there:



Moving right along, I found some folks fishing at the end of the next public access:



Look good and you can see the fellow has swum out the bait for his companion. If that ain't love, I don't know what is.
Most of the right of ways are short, about a hundred feet or so, but the sand is pretty loose.
Not sure even a Pugsley could make do here:



It's get off and walk time, but it's okay when at the end you find this:



I mean where else you gonna go?
Seriously, sometimes it feels like I'm in some movie:



Okay, headed out and back towards Kailua Beach.
Looking back at where I was:



The Express visiting some braddahs doing their thing:



The shoreline of O'ahu has been pretty much fished out for some time. It's not always about catching anything though, sometimes it's just about being out there, next to the ocean.
Off I went to finish my ride. I couldn't help myself and came back to take another look.
Lengthening shadows at Kailua Beach:



I mean really, where else would I rather be?

2 comments:

Oldfool said...

Since my memories and photos are nearly 30 years old I suspect I would have trouble adjusting to all the changes in the islands. I think I'll keep it as I remember it when I lived there.
I am finding that the old saying of "You can never go back" to be true.
Your photos do pull at my heartstrings though.

limom said...

Kailua on the whole hasn't really changed too much since I've been here.
That's about to change though, with Target and Whole Foods coming in.
Can't stop it.