Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday Final

I need a break!
Oh wait.
I am on break.
Until next week Tuesday in fact.
So I was laying here, watching but not really watching Bruce Willis in Die Hard 13 or something and thinking about all the time off I get.
See for eight years in sales, I pretty much worked eight to ten hours a day, six days a week.
I also worked at The Warehouse where time off is something you mutter under your breath when you clock in Saturday mornings.
My poor brother(he works there now)!
My father you see, is something of a slave driver and he is proud of it.
So anyways, Bruce runs over Maggie Q(!) with a van and I'm thinking I got another vacation, two weeks during Christmas.
Then another week in March.
Then of course, there's summer, but that's not really a vacation for I'm not getting paid.
Misconception is that teachers are paid during summer when they are not, we get paid over a ten month period and parts of our checks are held back and distributed over the summer so that our health plans don't expire.
Or something like that.
By the way, I'm not a teacher(yet) but my union follows the teachers pay schedule.
So that's like a month of paid time off!
Oh wait!
There's all those federal and state holidays too!
Something like sixteen of them.
All told that's like seven weeks of paid time off.
Boy.
That's a lot of time off.
Now that I think about it.
Never underestimate the power of collective bargaining I say.
So now Bruce is running stuff over with a tractor trailer and I'm thinking about the stuff I should be able to get done with all that wonderful time off.
I mean seriously, seven weeks.
I could remodel the house or at least landscape the yard.
Yet none of that stuff gets done.
With Bruce now dodging missiles, I realize it's because of the recovery time.
I guess I sort of realized it when I was finishing up those mugs and couldn't wait so that I could do well, nothing.
I have to admit, I like doing nothing. It's sort of like doing something, except nothing gets done and you don't go anywhere.
Hey! just like riding my bike.
I mean when I ride, I go somewhere, but not really.
When at work, I'm always doing something, which is why I suppose they call it work. Actually it's not really work for I really like doing it.
I guess it's work because I get paid.
The other thing I like to do is well, nothing.
I wish I got paid for doing that.
Oh wait!
I am.

No comments: