Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Early Edition

The March of Bowls(MOB) continues!
Sort of.
I mean I'm making forward progress.
Yesterday was one of those bad days on the potter's wheel.
Nothing seemed to be going right, mediocrity reigned supreme and although I made eleven bowls, only seven made it to completion.
That means four of them got trashed and recycled in someother configuration or had to be rebooted back to a bowl like shape.
This was a day when I just couldn't seem to get the hang of what I was doing and nothing I tried seemed to work.
Or maybe I was just trying the same thing over and over.
Sort of like those bad days you have on the bicycle when your legs seems out of whack and you feel like you should be doing something else.
Well okay, even on bad days riding a bicycle I'd still rather be riding a bicycle.
When I have these bad days making bowls, I should instead be out there riding a bicycle.
If you know what I mean.
Still I sucked it up and persevered!




No weenie am I!
I guess even on bad bowl days, my bowls are all right.
The thing about bowls is that it doesn't matter what the outsides look like, it's the insides that count.
If you think about it, when you use bowl, or plate for that matter, you only look at the inside part.
In the case of a bowl, a potter tries his best to get that inside curve as smooth as possible.
By smooth I mean a contiuous curve, no transitions or humps or ripples.
Something I had great difficulty in pulling off yesterday.
I think the problem is that I'm doing all kinds of different shapes.
If I stick to one size and shape, hopefully my mechanical groove will come back cause I don't remember this being all that hard.
I gotta say, I was getting sort of flustered with my bowl making hopelessness.
Sort of like walking around in circles I was.
So today, I must summon all my Jedi skilz and crush the soul of the clay!
Eight more bowls and I'll hit thirty, then I figure I'll take a break and make some other stuff, like maybe some covered jars.
Or maybe something goofy, just for fun.
Then comes the glazing.
Boy.
I'm really looking forwards to that.
If you know what I mean.

No comments: